1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings to fit Lakland 55-94 Besides Lakland's??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rickreyn, Oct 24, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Need to know what's out there as a suitable alternative to Lakland's strings.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you want to consider the experience of a lowly owner of a 55-02 Skyline;

Lakland-ites may call me a "heretic," rickreyn, but I just don't buy wholesale into the whole "tapered" design. Yeah, non-tapered strings have forced me to make some action adjustments, but that's okay. I've never met a factory set-up I really like, (although the 55-02's was quite good).

I tried Pedulla "Serious Strings" and found they're exactly the same GHS's that came on my Skyline. Nothing wrong with that - they sound good, but just not for me.

I've been happiest with the DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams) and Lo-Riders (non-tapered, stainless roundwounds) because they take off some of the metallic, top-end. Funny thing is - the older the DR's got, the better they sounded to me because the Bart preamp and the J pup is just so accurate, unforgiving on technique, and so "glistening" on the highs for my taste.

Of course, they have to go to the grave after a while, IMO. But, if you don't mind tweaking the saddles and the intonation screws, I like the DR's. I've yet to try the DR's offered through Lakland.....maybe they are the ultimate answer. But I think they are DR Hi Beams and that's just too much brightness for what I need to do.

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i just restrung my lakland 55-01 thru the bridge with ernieball slinky's ,not a prob. its what you are gonna do thru the bridge or thru the body,if thru the body you will need a longer string.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I tried out the Dean Markely "Will Lee" set on my 55-01 for giggles one day... just to try a new set... They are now all that I play! The do really well on my 55-01, in fact they do well on all my basses!

P@