Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings to fit Lakland 55-94 Besides Lakland's??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rickreyn, Oct 24, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Need to know what's out there as a suitable alternative to Lakland's strings.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you want to consider the experience of a lowly owner of a 55-02 Skyline;

Lakland-ites may call me a "heretic," rickreyn, but I just don't buy wholesale into the whole "tapered" design. Yeah, non-tapered strings have forced me to make some action adjustments, but that's okay. I've never met a factory set-up I really like, (although the 55-02's was quite good).

I tried Pedulla "Serious Strings" and found they're exactly the same GHS's that came on my Skyline. Nothing wrong with that - they sound good, but just not for me.

I've been happiest with the DR "Marcus" (Fat Beams) and Lo-Riders (non-tapered, stainless roundwounds) because they take off some of the metallic, top-end. Funny thing is - the older the DR's got, the better they sounded to me because the Bart preamp and the J pup is just so accurate, unforgiving on technique, and so "glistening" on the highs for my taste.

Of course, they have to go to the grave after a while, IMO. But, if you don't mind tweaking the saddles and the intonation screws, I like the DR's. I've yet to try the DR's offered through Lakland.....maybe they are the ultimate answer. But I think they are DR Hi Beams and that's just too much brightness for what I need to do.

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i just restrung my lakland 55-01 thru the bridge with ernieball Slinky's ,not a prob. its what you are gonna do thru the bridge or thru the body,if thru the body you will need a longer string.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I tried out the Dean Markely "Will Lee" set on my 55-01 for giggles one day... just to try a new set... They are now all that I play! The do really well on my 55-01, in fact they do well on all my basses!

P@