Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings to reduce fret noise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by yor123, Aug 4, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    I read through about 50 threads and am more confused than ever. Seems that everybody likes just about every string ever made. Go figure. I realize that string preference is highly subjective. However, I'll ask this anyway. I play a MIA Jazz. Still have the factory strings (.45-.110 niti round wounds, Superbass strings I beleive) I can not stand the harsh sound. I find myself turning down the tone pot more and more. I use a Sansamp DI, EQ the bass up and cut all the presence. I guess I am aiming for a warm sound but not muted. Unfortunalely, cranking down that tone pot is like throwing a blanket over the amp, (15 inch scorpion driver in a TKO 80 cabinet) Reading thru the posts, I've decided that flatwounds may help. I am leaning to the TI jazz flats. Or, I am wondering if the Elixir strings wouldn't eliminate the metal on metal sound that my current strings give. Maybe the gore-tex coating would dampen the fret/finger noise. It's not the right hand that creates the noise, I play very lightly, almost petting the strings. It is the left hand .

Any comments?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

yor - my advice is to take it to a tech at music store if you aren't comfortable with adjusting your action.

They can tell you if all it needs are some adjustments like the truss rod/bridge, if the neck isn't straight, or, if the frets need some work.

If all those check out okay, it's time to adjust the bass player's technique.

Having a bass on which you can't use any type of strings is simply unacceptable, IMO. You shouldn't have to limit your choices.

3. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I might suggest ground-roundwound strings; less highs but still plenty of attack. GHS Brite Flats are a nice choice; about $28 delivered by www.juststrings.com . These are not the most common, but I have used G-RW for years.

I used to use DR HighBeams on my P-Bass; I found them to be a lot "smoother" than the original Fender strings. They now make more models in DR than they used to; they are very subtle strings and responsive to how you play.

The TI Jazz Flats have very low tension; you might not like them, particularly if you ever tune down. They are a fine string, but they are a very extreme case. I would suggest trying something "in the middle" like a G-RW or "pressure wound" instead of full flats right off.

4. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the advice. I ordered Fender 9050m stainless steel flats. Seems like they are somewhat popular in this forum and they were not too expensive. I will try the GHS Brite flats next if these don't solve my problem. I ruled out the TI Jazz flats because of the low tension. I just hate the fret buzzin' and string bangin' you get with low tension strings . Hopefully the Fender 9050m flats will have higher tension than the TI Jazz flats.

Gregg

5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    The Fender's are a pretty "classic" flatwound. You may find that they take a fair amount of pressure and you might want to adjust your truss rod/lower your action to get them closer to the frets.

They willl sound great as you practice by yourself. The real trick is whether you can hear them in a band practice; without the mids and highs they tend to get lost and you have a hard time hearing yourself. However, if you have enough amp and a heavy enough PA they sound great; it just takes lots of horsepower to make them "seem" loud because all you are amplifying is really "bass".