Strings to tame the Sound of my G&L

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by snowdan, Mar 12, 2006.

1. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well i have thsi G&L bass that is kind of musicman copy. singel MM-style PU, Ash body, jazz-style neck. Very punchy sounding, loud, great for cutting through anything.

i would now like to get some more friendly sound from it, like some motown, r&b, soulish finger sound. fatter bass, less finger noise, you name it.

should i go all the way and buy flatwounds? or is there something worthwile in the middle? the bass has DR HiBeams currently.

i basically want some band-friendly, supportive classic bass tone. i can have all the modern sounds from my neuser courage if i want.
  2. Well, from what I'm hearing over in the G&L forum at the Dudepit, Thomastik-Infeld flats seem to be the favorite.

I just got a vintage L-2000, and I'm not sure whether I'm going to go that route, or with a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Jazz Flats, possibly even the Jamerson flats.
  4. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i just remember it is called "climax".

i bought it something like 9 or ten years ago.
  5. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    You'll pay dearly for TI's, though.
  6. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
  7. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would look at D'Addario Chrome Flats. My SR5 wore a set for 2 yrs and they still sounded good except for the B. It was great when the strings were newer, but the B string was sounding kinda flat and dead after two years. I almost just bought a new B and left the rest on. I had TI Jazz flats on before the Chromes and liked them, but I thought the Chromes were an improvement.
  8. I had Chromes on my Yamaha RBX774, but sold it before they even got well broken in, so it wasn't much of a test. I'm curious about Labella Deep Talkin' Flats.
  9. Yeah, they made those during the mid-Nineties or so. They have a quite different neck joint area as I recall (sunken in from the rear). They made a similar guitar around that era as well I believe.
  10. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    +1 on the La Bellas. I've never had the pleasure of playing a G&L, so I don't know how they will sound for you, but I know they sound great on my RKB900. I've never tried the FL's. I have FM's, which have a 109 E. I like them a little better than Chromes (105 E) and the TI's (at least this month), but both are solid choices as well.
  11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I don't think G&Ls and steel strings go well together. D'Addario XLs and TI flats sound great on a G&L. If you like a little pop in your sound XLs are the way to go. They aged nicely on my L-2500. If you want old school phatness go TI flats. A set of Chromes would be a reasonably priced experiment but I have never played Chromes.

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    If you want to tone it down some, but not as much as if you put on flatwounds, just try some roundwound nickels. I use DR Sunbeams on my stingray and my OLP stingray clone. Both of those are relatively close in sound to your G&L.

Oh, and I wouldn't call your G&L a musicman copy...the MM's were designed and built by Leo Fender, then he sold that company which is now owned by Ernie Ball. But Leo went on to form another comapny and design and build more basses...yup, G&L. So you could say Fender, MusicMan and G&L basses are all cousins. Fenders are kinda distant cousins to the other two, but MM's and G&L's are quite similar to each other.
  13. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've got TI flats on 4 of my basses. The oldest set is over 6 years old and they still sound good. Once they get broken in after a few days playing they sound great and retain that sound longer than any other I've tried. Sure, I pay $60 Canadian a set but once every five or more years is a bargain to me.
  14. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i just put some fender steel flats on the G&L. i like the tone. there is still quite some snap, but the bass is much richer and fuller. what i get is a nice growly tone flat, or a warm bass with mids defeated by EQ. what a pity the bridge is that high, i wish i could lower the stings a bit for ease of playing.
  15. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    On that note, I might add that your bridge is probably fine.
    Go to the Setup & Repair forum and check on the relief on the neck.
  16. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    well i have straightened the neck with the truss rod already, its fine. the string action would be high even with a straight neck.

the flats don't buzz much, so a lower setting would be nice, but no way. i could let a guitar tech grind out some wood to place the bridge deeper into the body, right?
  17. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    For mellow RW on my L2000 I like TI Superalloy. When I want a flatwound sound I use TI flats. Both last a long time, which more than makes up for the extra initial cost. You can't really go wrong with either.
  18. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    still can't believe what a nice, earthy, defined tone my G&L is now putting out. the fender strings rock.
  19. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    What gauge did you go with?

20. snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    50-100. they sound pefectly balanced on my bass.