Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings too clse to frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chiggz, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Chiggz

Chiggz

Dec 29, 2004
    i changed strings on my bass and they are too close to the frets and i tried raising the saddles and the truss rod wont turn what can I do?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    what kinda strings did you change from/to? some taper...etc Also, is your nut pretty low? You probably want to take it to a pro though if your truss rod won't budge.. if you are not experienced in messing with it definitely don't. can be a $$$ mistake.

3. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    No disrespect, but if you're trying to raise your action, by adjusting the truss rod, you don't know what you're doing. Put down your tools and go to a pro. You should be adjusting your bridge saddles, for action and intonation, before you ever try to mess with the truss rod.

4. Best piece of advice this thread has ever seen.

I might add that there is simply no possible way for the strings to lose height if you replaced them with the same brand and gauge.

5. Kwaito

Kwaito

Feb 15, 2004
    Actually, I've found that newer strings can have a little more tension than older strings that have been on the bass awhile, therefore a new set of the same gauge can actually pull the neck up a bit and create a little more relief and therefore higher action.... :)

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Still doesnt prove him wrong in saying that strings cant lose height,

7. Kwaito

Kwaito

Feb 15, 2004
    he's right - they can't

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Once the new strings are on your bass, try stretching them by lifting them away from the fretbaord with your fingers. (from the bridge to the nut, and everywhere in between)
    Then retune your bass when complete. I don't think this will help, but it's a good thing to do if you aren't already doing it.

9. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Although new strings can have more tension, the brightness of new strings usually makes the buzzing a LOT more audible. A lot more than what the new string tension change gives more relief-wise. My new strings always rattle more than old ones.

-Aki.