1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Strings too fat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimmyfamous, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jimmyfamous

jimmyfamous

Jul 6, 2006
    I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5.
    I am having a problem with the Low B string fitting in to the slot in the tailpiece. The string is a 130 Ernie Ball roundwound.
    The problem is that the string is fatter at the end where the wire is wrapped.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have had this problem on a couple of other basses.

You have 2 choices:

- Use a thinner gauge

- Get out the drill

:)

3. jimmyfamous

jimmyfamous

Jul 6, 2006
    Have you found strings that don't get fatter at the end?

This 130 gage is not a fat string for a low B.

4. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Taperwound B String is one solution.

5. If I'm not mistaken Warwick bridges require a "tapered" B string. I belive all Warwick brand string sets have these. If you look around hard enough on the net you may find a set that sells a tapered B individually.

I just got my Thumb off Ebay a few months ago. It came with Warwick Red Labels on it. I left the B on but changed the other 4. For me, I feel it's much less necessary to change the B on a regular basis compared to the other 4 strings. I'll probably leave it on for a few months and then grab another set of Warwick strings just for the B.

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    +1. There are some strings that will fit in there nicely, but I found tapred B's to be the best bet. They also fit nicely over the bridge. You can get a set with normal EADG, and the B is the only one that is tapered.

7. jimmyfamous

jimmyfamous

Jul 6, 2006
    Thanks for the responces.

Doesn't it seem odd that I cannot use any string I want on this bass?

I really don't want to use a drill.

:meh:

8. Not when the bass is made by the same people that make the strings that fit for it, doesn't seem odd at all :D :D

9. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    don´t use a drill, use a file and gently file the slot for the b in the string holder a little wider, it´s even described on the official warwick page (under techincal tips or something). if you´re not sure, let a guitar tech do it.
    the new warwicks have a string holder that´s wide enough now. i had this done on my streamer years ago, and suggested it several times to warwick head honchos - it seems now finally they did it !

for me it´s very important, cause i can´t stand taperwound strings. i think full b strings sound a lot fatter !

cheers,
    lowstar

10. Use some sand paper and wrap it around the string, and try to smooth it out

11. jimmyfamous

jimmyfamous

Jul 6, 2006
    Thank you Low Star.

That seems like the best bet.

12. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Sadly, a typical problem with Warwick bridges.

14. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    happily, problem of warwick bridges from the past, since the new ones have bigger slots.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yay, good news. :)

16. jimmyfamous

jimmyfamous

Jul 6, 2006
    I e-mailed Warwick yesterday and asked them if they can send me a new tailpiece with the larger slot.

I just bought this bass new, so it should have had one on it allready.

I'll let you know what happens.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021