Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings too loose

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I am going to be buying some new strings,I have a set of Dean Markley Blue Steels in Light Gauge(45,60,80,100) and they are rather loose,i have adjusted the action and they were still extremely floppy.I was wondering what set of gauges I should buy.I am thinking about getting the custom light set(46,63,80,102).Will these still provide almost the same feel of the lights i have now,but be a bit less floppy?Or perhaps i should go for the medium set(50,70,85,105)?Perhaps go back to the Ernie Ball Extra Slinky series?I do not tune down,if that matters.

2. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    If you are looking for a bass string with higher tension, Go for a bigger gauge, or go flatwound. Having said that. Bass strings can be floppy, and in my opinion the hardest part of learning to play the bass, was learning to control how hard i hit the strings and how to mute so only the notes ring you want to. (45, 65, 85, 105) dadario are what i like, but they are very slinky.