Strings too small?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joel Vredenburg, Jul 28, 2018.

1. So I have an Epiphone EB-0 and I’m considering getting some super light strings that are 40-95, but the bass is rated for 45-105. Would it create problems if I used them? I believe they are roundwound if that matters to the decision.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You'll need to set it up and they'll be pretty loose but it should be fine.

nixdad and Joel Vredenburg like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You should be fine. If they should rattle because they are too loose in the nut slots, just cut small slips of a business card and make a U for the string to sit in. Not perfect, but a quick cheap temporary alternative to a new luthier installed and custom cut nut.

Joel Vredenburg likes this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    what's the reason for switching to lower gauges? the EB-0 is a short scale bass, so even 45-105 strings would feel light compared to 45-105 strings on regular long scale bass.

anyhow, those 40-95 gauges shouldn't be creating problem as long as you do the proper truss rod adjustment.

5. So I’m seeing that I’ll have to set things up a bit to get them to work at their best. What adjustments would need to be made? Also the reason for them is that I’d like to try what they feel like because I’ve never had them before.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Tune your existing strings down a half step to Eb tuning, or down a whole step to D tuning. That will give you a sense what lighter-gauge strings might feel and sound like on your bass.

Typically any time you change brand, type, or gauge of strings, you definitely want to check the intonation, and you may also need to make truss rod or other adjustments. ALL BASIC SETUP QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Trying many sorts of strings is the fun thing and in a way is part that we definitely must to do as a bass player. :bassist:

Basically, when you change strings,
    you need to do reseting up the neck (adjusting the truss rod) and the intonations (adjusting the bridge saddles). More so if the new strings are completely different from the previous.

Nowadays, all you need to know for setting up your bass are available online. @Mushroo has given you a link to a TB thread that's worth reading. There are also lots of YouTube clips for this particular needs.

8. toprekoms

toprekoms Inactive

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    .40 -.95's are for girly men.

9. Lol

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Rated by whom?

gln1955 likes this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I never knew basses were rated for string gauge. What does that even mean?

lz4005 likes this.
  12. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    No problem, just set it up for them and enjoy some easy playing ;)

13. I would not play such light strings. I tend to like heavier bass strings even though they may be tougher on fingers and playing. (50-105) But tone and response are most important factors to me.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

40-95 isn't that small, you're still within the range of common string sizes.
    They won't be that floppy. Thin jauges sound and feel nothing like detuned heavy strings.

15. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    and ... sometimes your bass is just fine with a slight change in tension ..!!?? you'll find out immediately sometimes ,... sometimes it takes a day or 2 ...

it all ads up to yet another learning experience in your bass or guitar adventures ..!! enjoy ...

16. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    My understanding from reading the tension charts published by various string manufacturers is that a 95 tuned to E, a 100 tuned to Eb, and a 105 tuned to D will all have roughly the same tension. Can you help me understand what's wrong with my logic?

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Tension is only a small part of the equation. Thick strings feel completely different from thin strings under the finger. They roll differently under the fingers and on frets. Stiffness isn't the same either especially near the ends and more than anything, the tone is different.

Mushroo likes this.
  18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Fair enough. I'll rephrase as a non-scientific "I statement": I've found that alternate tunings can be a fun and useful experiment. If I get a new bass and I'm not sure which strings to use, rather than spend $100+ trying several of different string sets, I'll experiment with the tuning. If I tune up a half step (F Bb Eb Ab) and it improves the sound and feel of the bass, then I invest in a heavier set of strings. Or if I tune down a half step (Eb Ab Db Gb) and it improves the sound and feel of the bass, then I invest in a lighter set of strings. Your mileage may vary. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  19. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    But still... experimenting with different strings is more fun than just altering tunings. :D

Sure it's costly. Which is why we should have some kind of allowance for maintaining our music gears... just like owning a car, a house, etc.

20. I looked at the spec page on Sweetwater. They sometimes recommend string sizes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021