Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings too tight for slap bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rockabilly man, Nov 27, 2002.

1. I don't know whether there are on rockabilly / slap bass players on this site but if so I would appreciate some advice.

I recently bought my first upright bass to play slap bass rockabilly. However, when I tune my bass the strings are too tight to rebound onto the board. the only string that seems to be of the right tension is the E string.

Any advice appreciated.

2. littlebill

littlebill

Oct 18, 2002
    Apopka, Fla
    What kind of strings are you using? The best for slap are the nylon or gut, certainly not steel strings. If that isn't the problem, then other things to look at would be if the bass is properly set up, i.e. is the bridge too high, are you tuned to standard and how have you learned the slap technique?

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Different strings provide differing amounts of tension and will be more or less suitable for slapping. Gut seems to be popular for slap, but there are proponents of steel as well.

Some players will buy Solo gauge strings, which are designed to be tuned one full step up from orchestra (normal) tuning, and then tune them to orchestra tuning, and as a result have a lower tension string. I'd suggest checking out rockabillybass.com for some threads on strings; he just started a new board, so be sure to go back to the original board with all its past discussions.

4. I have also recently purchased a double bass for Jazz and Rockabilly. This site was extremely informative and saved me a helluva lot of time and money when I was researching strings. Your posting should have been placed under Strings, don't be surprised if it's moved there. Anyway, I went thru ALL the threads under "Strings" and made a list of Pros and Cons from players experiences and their descriptions of the strings that I thought might fit my style and the sound I desired, I narrowed it down to 4 sets and purchased them one set at a time to experiment. I actually prefer steels, although a lot of Rockabilly players insist on gut or nylon, I was looking for a more versatile string. You'll know when you've got the right strings!

5. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I would also suggest either buying and adjustable bridge from (all Hail) Bob or getting some bridge adjusters put on your current rig. I use Labella Supernyls ($65 from Lemur) and I like the sound. It ain't gut but for the money, you can't go wrong.