Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings with no wrapping for long scale bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, May 19, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    What strings have no wrapping at the nut end? I have an AGB140 semi accoustic and the wrapping on Rotosounds or Elites comes over the nut due to the body length. I think the bass comes with D'Addario's, and I'd like to try flatwounds too.

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    You mean the colored thread winding at the end of the string? If that's the case, even without the thread winding, that's a part of the string that shouldn't be included in the vibrating length - or working length - of the string. In other words, you need to get extra long sets of strings to match the scale length of your bass. You could go to juststrings.com and have a look around.

What's the scale length (from nut to bridge) of your bass? Is it 35" or over? You can get string to match and you won't have to worry about the threading being over the nut.

Best

3. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I just looked it up. NICE looking bass by the way!

Anyhow, it's 34" scale length. I wonder if you'd gotten medium or short scale length strings for it?

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Yes it is a nice looking bass isn't it. My main bass is an old P bass but I wanted something a bit different for a spare.

You're right it is 34 inch scale but the gap between the tail piece and bridge is longer than usual hence the coloured thread on the nut. There's not much in it though with my usual long gauge strings so I'm sure an extra long gauge string would be fine.

Can I get extra long flats in 40 60 80 100 ?

Thanks

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004