Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings with Red Silk windings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chudweiser, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Chudweiser

Chudweiser

Jul 5, 2002
    So recently, I bought a double bass from a bass
    veteran in the area, and along with it came these
    old steel strings. Thinking nothing of them, I bought
    a new pair of Olivs and put them on, replacing the
    old gut strings. Unsatisfied with the Oliv's scratchy
    arco tone, I decided to give these old steel strings
    a try, and they were awsome, both for jazz and arco. So I want to buy a fresh set, but unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of strings they are! They have red silk at the bottom end, which extend fairly far up the string. At the top I think is red silk too, although, I'm not sure because the strings are so frayed at the top. The sound can be characterized as bright, both for pizz and arco. Can someone help me identify these strings?

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Sounds like the medium Thomastik Spirocore Orchestras to me. A very common string.
    Spirocores in orchestra tuning come in three types: weich, mittel, and stark, in order of increasing tension. The mittel have red windings at both ends and the weich have red at the bottom and purple at the top; both types are seen all over the place.
    Hope that helps, and if you do get a new set of Spirocores don't be dissappointed when at first they don't sound nearly as pleasing as the old set you now have. They take a bit of time to break in, and they seem to have a very long life, so the old ones you have right now might be just fine.