1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings with Zing..!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by darren1970, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Hi guys.

I've been a user of Roto66 and Roto Billy Sheehan 66's for about 15 years and I fancy a change.

I play fairly aggressively ( with fingers and pick ) and love a bright attack sound from my strings. Interested to hear what other brands some of you guys are using to get the "zing" in your sound.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Roto 66's are the king of zing, aren't they? I suppose any other stainless steel strings would do the trick.

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

My search for the brightest, clangiest, longest lasting string ended when I tried Dean Markley SR2000 strings. I was surprised as I didn't care for their Blue Steel strings. I was a long time Rotosound user and used them as my starting point in my search.

4. DonBurke

DonBurke

Jul 15, 2005
    Bloomfield, NJ USA
    Piano Technician, Self-employed.
    DR Hi-Beams are very nice and in my opinion (piano technician) have much cleaner harmonics. I've currently got Rotos on my basses 'cause the guitarist I'm recording with requested it, (and they look cool), but DR's are preferred. That said, it's not a difference that most people would notice, and really only noticable thru headphones.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Rotos

Blue Steels

6. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Since you are in the UK, check out Elites. Elites Stadium stainless steel.

Bright and grindy, tons of hi mids and highs. Last a long time too, IME.

7. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Rotos are the zingiest strings you can get... End of discussion!!!! LOL...

8. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Elixirs have tons of zing.

9. I'm a "ZING!" player as well for most of my Basses (my Taylor AB Series ABG, fretless and Custom Spector "American Deluxe Euro Bolt-On P/DC" don't call for as much) so I'm a big fan of D'Addario ProSteels. The only negative is that for the last few years they're switched from Tapered to non-tapered B-string so I've had to buy 4-string sets and then Super Long Scale .130 Tapered Bs, but apparently as of this NAMM they're reintroducing their entire line as Singles, so not only will the above be made easier but making a Balanced Tension ProSteels set will be workable! :hyper:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021