Strings Without Strong Upper Mids?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Feb 6, 2009.

1. I'm sticking a copy of a post I had in another sub-forum here. I'm looking for a 'darker', flatwound string. Here's the post:

I love the way my Smith Burner feels and plays, but I hate the sound of it- it's very narrow, upper-middy-honky sounding. Downright brash for my ear. I want to try putting some deep-sounding flats on it and see if I can get it to be a little more thumpy. I like some growl, but it has to be down low, not up in the Jaco-spere. Those nasally-upper mids are screrwing up my experience.

If new strings don't do it I'm going to put Fender Jazz (stock) p'ups in it. The stock "Smith" p'ups are suspect as a prime cause of my discontent, I believe, anyway...

If that doesn't fix it for me I'm going to try a Bartolini preamp a fellow Smith-player is sending me. The existing Smith 2-band pre does not work properly, and I can't afford a new or re-built for a while.

Whatever works I'm going to post as a mod. The (sort of) sad truth is I want it to sound like a Fender! The string-spacing is very good for me, and the feel of it is awesome. I also like the look of it- it's different, and has a sort of 'snooty' vibe; very 80's English-pop looking! If I can get it all to work out I'll do my (in)famous strap-jig to it, and it'll be all set.

Here's the Smith:
    PC100002.gif

Here's the (in)famous strap-jig, not on the Smith:
    P2100004.gif

So, any recommendations for nice medium-low tension flats that'll keep me in the low-downs sound-wise, and less in the upper-mids? I'll appreciate any constructive remarks, and fend off the hammering I may get for modding a Smith bass! :D Thanks!

2. Falkner

Falkner

Mar 5, 2008
    From my experience with flatwounds, GHS Precision Flats seem to be close to what you're asking for. The tension is pretty low for flats, they have a good bottom end with more low growl than any other flats I've used, and the high end sounds a bit more mellow.

I have a set on my Squier jazz and, though they've had half a year to settle in, they still have a decent amount of those properties to them.

3. Thanks Falkner, I'm a-checkin' 'em out.

4. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Have the same strings(ghs flats) since about a year on a late 60´s preci.
    Bass and thump to the perfection,but not an all rounder.
    woffle

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Labella 760FLs

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +1 For the LaBellas they are warm and thumpy and some hight but not brite in any way

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, La Bellas or GHS based on what you're looking for.

8. Consistent info there. Thanks guys.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021