Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings wont fit...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Geezerman, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Just received some Steve Harris flats for christmas ( :hyper: ) and...they don't fit? :crying: The end near the ball is to thick, for the E. I haven't tried the other strings yet, but what can i do?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can widen the hole on the bridge of you bass a tad. That is, if you are comfortable doing such things...

3. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Was thinking about that, but what could i do with that with?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    dremel, drill? Just be sure to take the bridge off before you do it, and do it slowly. Don't try to increase the size too much.

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hm...an excuse to get a dremel? Score. :cool: Shaving off some of that binding would work i suppose?

6. just put the end of the string in the machine head and tighten... the machine head can pull a lot harder than you can :D

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No, don't shave the string at all. It'll just unravel.

8. Binding? Are you referring to the felt wrapping that some strings have? If you are, you can pull that crap off, and it might just be the difference. I hate felt!

If you were referring to any part of the string's metal wrap, no, don't even consider that.

Mag...

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    yeah that felt!

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I hate felt too. Almost all of the worlds problems can be directly or indirectly traced to it. People kill, die, steal and lie for it. It causes cancer too.

The stuff on bass strings is silk though and not one problem, since the silk trade travel routes 1000 years ago, has been attributed to it. I still keep my eye on it though because after the felt thing, I don't trust silk. And after living through the 1970's, I certainly don't trust polyester.

11. Haha... yeah, that felt-like-silky-wrap-material... :p

Mag..