Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings won't stay wrapped on tuners

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    This is the oddest problem. I just acquired a G&L ASAT. Came with roundwounds. Just received some TI Jazz Flats. As soon as I get to tension, the string starts slipping out of the tuner, starting from the very end of the string inserted into the tuner. Did this on the G, A and D strings with the flatwounds. Haven't tried the E yet. I try and re-string with the original roundwound string. Same thing. The tuner isn't slipping. It doesn't seem to be the silk wrapping on the end of the string as the roundwounds it came with were unwrapped and bare-stringed and when I tried to put them on, same thing - slipped until unwrapped when I got to the point of tension. Oh, the E and A roundwounds went back on and didn't slip. Any suggestions? Probably something simple I'm just overlooking.

2. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Ran em twice through the channel. Now secure. Funny, though. Never had to do that with my Jazz or Sabre bass.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    There is a great technique for this. It works just about everytime. Here it is:
    1.Set the post paralell to the frets.
    2. Cut string as usual, then place in post.
    3.Start to wind the string around, the opposite direction as normal.
    4.Wind the string around that half of the post, then take string through the center of the post.
    5. Now wind the string around the other side of the post, so that it is now normal (facing center). Wind to tension.

Wallah! I figured this out after I had some really slippery tuners. Hope it works for you.

4. There's something occuring here and it really needs to be curtailed. This is definitely a setup issue and should have been asked and answered in the setup forum.

This type of question has been occuring more and more frequently here in Luthiers and it isn't appropriate for the forum. We talk about building issues here and not setup issues per se.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Wow, you're right. I didn't notice that until just now. It should DEFINITELY be moved.

And I have noticed the "epidemic" of non-luthiery questions in the forum. :\