Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by bcarll, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Hey Mike,

Well,really getting interested in your book after a visit to your website and hope to purchase it soon. Found on your site that you have tried the TI Jazz Rounds on your MTD and was wondering how you liked them. Because I am considering trying the chordal approach are these strings a good choice for my bass (Carvin) and is the tone right for this style of playing? TI also has a Powerbass string that they compare alot to the JazzRound so I need some guidance. Thanks

bcarll

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Waht I truly like about the TI jazz Rounds is that they have a very light feel and low tension. they don't overpower the chords with too much harmonic content as the Power Bass do (Power bass are great for Rock, blues, funk). The outer wrap is so tight and of such small diameter that they almost feel like flat wounds. They have a very even feel and even sound throught the bandwidth. They really serve to mellow out my MTD a bit.

As I said the Power Bass are very powerful with lots of harmonic content. They make a great rock, blues or funk string

Mike

3. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Thanks Mike

Glad you cleared that up. So much hype about strings these days but I'm afraid my ear doesn't hear all they say about strings . Tension was a concern of mine but I got used to the TI Flats so the rounds should be just fine. Good enough for Mike good enough for me. The Thomastik Infield Strings are great strings aren't they. (That was a statement not a question) Mike again thanks for your contribution to our site here at TB and keep hangin' with us.

bcarll

4. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Hello,

Newbie 2 the site.

I too subscribe to TI Rounds for my MTD Kingston Heir 4.
    Guess who convinced me to give these a try... :p

I heard Mr. Dimin's music a year or so ago on MP3.com..I was drawn to his song, Little Sister.

I loved the song and the sound of the Heir.
    I have tweaked mine a tad: i now have bartolini pickups (tricoil switch )and a badass bridge.

I have tried several strings: rotosound jazz flats(i do like them,too) and rounds, dean markley's cryogenic something or another and i keep restringing my bass with TI's.
    Now, i am waiting to try the dm's medium light sr2000'S.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Welcome to talkbass .. and please not "Mr." here. I did exactly what you did. I tried many different strings until I came to to the TI jazz rounds. For me, they have the sound and feel that I truly like

Mike

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I had an ensemble gig last night (99% of my gigs are just solo bass). We opened with Little Sister. Deoending on hos the recording came out, I'll post a bit of it. We just did an x-mic thing direct to dat. The hall, a chapel, has a lot of natural reverb, so we'll have to see

Mike

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried some TI Jazz nickel roundwounds on my pre-Gibson Tobias - a JR345 set. I was impressed and I found that I could play much more easily and they did have a nice sound - but after a while, when the novelty wore off, I found they sounded "thin" compared to the D'Addario Slowounds, I usually use.

I think it was because of the lighter gauges of this set - but the D and G sounded too "twangy" to me and I get more fundamental bass from the Slowounds.

But I was tempted for a while - I think if there was a heavier gauge set and given that Slowounds are being discontinued... I might be tempted to make these my preferred choice?

BUT - do they make heavier gauges?

So, my preferred Slowound 5-string set is :

But the only 5-string set I was able to get for the TI Jazz Rounds was :

Noticably lighter and "thinner-sounding" to me.

So - does anybody know if it's possible to get a TI 5 set with similar gauge to the Slowounds detailed above?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The other thing is that I also have a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe which is 35" scale and sounds realy nice when you string through the body - but this requires "Super Longs" and TI don't seem to do these either...?

I suppose my point is, they would be really nice strings - if only they had a wider range of lengths and gauges!! :meh:

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The Jazz Round are very light in tension. They are also very well balanced toanlly across the spectrum. Do to their silk windings they don't have the loud harmonic content than other strings. For my solo work, where I might be playing 3 or 4 vocies at a time or up to 5 loops having a string that is "sensitive" is important. TI alos makes the Power Bass Strings. These are truly powerful. Loads of harmonic content. Since they are constructed for even tension and not so much diameter conscius they are a bit weird (that is until you play them)

.047, .068, .080, .107, .119

I am not sure how long they come. I heard at NAMM that they were coming out with longer sets (the guage will probably change slightly). I know that the Jazz Rounds and Jazz Flats have strings for 36" scale

Mike

10. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    My Dean Markley SR 2000's are in--oh man...Sweet...Nice and throaty..love the clarity, and that's without tweaking my SanAmp DI.
    Not as smooth on the digits at first touch like the TI's but i hope they wear well over time.

11. bcarll

bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    I started this thread and many thanks to Mike and all of you for commenting on the string issue. I truly like the TI flats for the jazz and Motown sets I play and now will give the JR's a try. I really like the feel of the TI strings- a nice smooth feel- what other strings have that smooth feel. I took a set of strings off a bass I purchased used and the strings were super smooth like glass but don't know what brand they were. So my question is what other strings have this kind of texture and feel?

bcarll

12. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Rotosound 77 Jazz Bass (flatwounds) have a smooth feel...at first contact it felt like something was on my fingers..not sure what the coating is.
    I need a second bass--make that a third bass...I have to keep my TI's active.