Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scarset, Mar 27, 2001.

1. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    What kind of strings have good sound and go easy on the fingers??

2. scarset,

welcome to talkbass.

your question is a little vague, only because we don't know anything about...

what style of music you play.
    what kind of bass(es)

stuff like that really helps to get better answers.

giving more information, will bring you more helpful and educated answers.

thanks for coming to talkbass, you'll get a lot of info from this site!

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    hi scarset

Elixirs are pretty comfy, but I don't like nickel strings, so I don't use them. I bought a set on sale for 20 bucks and put them on my beater bass. They sound decent for nickel, and are supposed to retain their sound for a very long time. I think the strings themselves are D'Addarios, then a company coats them and sells them for like $40 a set. If you see them on sale, maybe consider it, if not...

If you want something that sounds better, DR makes nice strings. I only use stainless strings, but those are rough on the fingers. Maybe try some of their nickel strings though, I'm told they are quite comfortable. If in doubt, just go for a set of reasonably priced nickel strings, don't worry about having some great brand.

Here's some general stuff for ya, but these are broad generalizations:

-Nickel strings will almost always feel better, and they are more mellow and smooth sounding than stainless.

-Stainless strings will always be rougher on your hands, and they sound brighter and more snappy than nickel.

-Flatwounds are are probably the slickest feeling string. However, they are not as versatile as roundwounds in my opinion. Some people like them for emulating an upright bass(quick decay).

For an all around string, give a nickel roundwound a try...and good luck! :)

4. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    Hey thanx a bunch Seamus

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    no problem, I hope it helps...

You know what else? If you want to see a huge selection of strings available for bass, go to juststrings.com

I'm not endorsing them or anything and you don't have to buy there(allthough they are totally reputable), but at least you can see how many different companies make strings and what they offer.

When you get to the site, just go into the electric bass section and browse around. If you want any more input, just post in here again. :)

6. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    What would you say is the best brand of stings like: Fender, Erinie Ball etc........
    And what kind of string , roundwound , nylon, nickelplated, etc................???

7. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Best brand is in the eye of the beholder.
    "Personaly" I'll take my Pyramid Golds flats.They cost more but have the sound I'm looking for and they will last for a year or more with heavy playing.
    "NO" they dont decay.
    It all depends on the sound your after.Pyramids will give you that Paul McCartney sound.

8. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    Thanx btu i dont no if i wanna spend that much money on some strings, do u have n e suggestions for some cheaper strings???

And those strings do give nice sound

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    jman:

I wasn't knockin em, just gave an application of flats. Some people like for them to deaden, they prefer it over time to get an upright sound.

scarset:

I like DR's and Rotosounds. I can't recommend the Rotos, the stainless ones I use are very coarse. I never tried their nickel strings, but my guess would be they are more coarse than other brands judging by the stainless.

DR's are nice, sort of in the middle price range for popular brands I guess. Go for nickel, that will be most comfortable. I bet you could hook up with some Fenders for a low price, maybe give those a try and see. They are usually priced low or on sale.

There's lots of brands that can be priced in the lower range that I haven't even tried, but it does not mean they are all that bad. Tell ya what, here's some string reviews. Check it out...

They rate them on sound, *feel*, etc and even list prices. They even rate different types of strings. Take a look and see if anything sounds good.

http://eksl-www.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/bgra/strings.html

10. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    Hey thanx again i checked out the site and i found some DR Lo Riders Stainless Roundwound hex core long scale. now what would you pick: Lite-Lite, Lite, Med Lite, Medium, Heavy??

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I play medium lo riders, actually, medium on pretty much any string.

They are stainless, so they won't be the *most* comfortable thing in the world, but they are probably about as comfortable as stainless gets.

Lo Riders are also more rigid, and probably a little higher in tension than strings with round cores in them. I like it actually, it allows you to pluck the strings harder and faster with great consistency.

They might feel very rigid when you first put them on, but they will break in fast(from playing a day or two). Then they will feel more flexible, but still maintain that great stability under heavy hands.

String tone is highly preferential, and I probably still prefer the Rotos over anything else, but I would not hesitate to recommend lo Riders...sweet string.

12. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    Thanx, I think i have just found my new strings.
    thanx again, for all of you who have helped me

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    No problem, good luck with them.

Let us know what you like/dislike when you try them. If you find they are not for you, maybe we could find something better.

Strings can be highly experimental, and probably the most subjective part of a bassist's equipment.

14. scarset

scarset

Mar 27, 2001
    OK can do