Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by spector9, Apr 23, 2001.

1. spector9

Apr 21, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I think black nylon tapewound strings are the best strings ever maaaaaaaaaaan!!!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass, spector.

Glad you found some strings you like. 5'll getcha 10 you'll try many string types after you've been playing longer than 2 years and your tastes change. You'll be amazed how much different brands, different designs, different metals, et al, will affect your sound.

Like many here at TalkBass, I keep a few basses strung with different strings...different tools for different jobs.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, I think they're pretty cool, and if they're the best for you, great. I'm currently re-discovering roundwounds after having used flats for about a year. I don't think there's an "ultimate" string, although there might be an ultimate for you. I'm searching for the ultimate for me, and I don't seem to be there yet.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    For a long time my signature was "Mmm... flatwounds..." and then it was "Mmm... nylon tapewounds..." and now it's obviously different. I really like the tone of the nylon tapewounds, but the lack of a ground is starting to annoy me. I posted on another thread about using your watch to get rid of the ground hum, but it's just getting annoying. I might switch back to flats. Then again, people are telling me how cool my black strings are...
  5. FenderJazzBass

FenderJazzBass Guest

Apr 8, 2001
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    You gotta try different brands & different gauges-i did & found out that i prefer Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys to GHS Brite Flats-the change just wasn't the sound i want since i only have 1 stand. bass [other is ashbory]. Thats all
  7. Right now I'm happy with my TI Jazz flats, for the most part at least, but I want to try Fender 9050's now. That's the problem with strings, there's too much variety. You can never be truly happy with a set of strings, because you'll always be curious about other types. Not to discourage you or anything, trying new strings is fun.
  8. Hi Spector9 and welcome to the board and to TB in general.

Maybe I'm a bit of a stick in the mud but I don't really go on this business of trying strings: anyway can't afford it to be honest.

I reckon the best route is rounds on a fretted and leave 'em there for a long time. Likewise, nylon tapes on a fretless. I've not got a fretless at the moment but I'd do that if I had.

Take care.

Rockin John
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

rockin_john, it depends on the tone that you are after on a fretless.

If you want an URB type vibe, the Fender black nylon tapewounds on a fretless comes closer than any other string that I have heard.

OTOH, if you are looking for that bright, in your face Jaco type sound, you need roundwounds on a coated, or ebony, or composite board. I prefer stainless steel roundwounds on fretless myself, but my second fretless is strung with black nylons for those 2 or 3 numbers we do that need that URB sound.
  10. If we are talking fretless then Ken Smith Compressors are the best I have used.

Take a little getting used to but after all they are great.