1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, May 5, 2001.

1. I'm going to say it before anyone else does. That is a very subjective question.. you cant say one company makes the BEST strings. Its all a matter of personal preference. Flatwound or roundwound? What style of playing? Deep or Bright? Its very subjective. I personally like D'Addario Slowounds for roundwounds, and Fender 3050ML's for Flatwounds. But others prefer Thomastik (never tried em), Ernie Ball, DRs (again, never tried em {my next string purchase is going to be DR. Lowriders}), My suggestion is to go out and buy some strings, I suggest D'Addario Slowounds to start, and just use trial and error to find your favorite strings! :D

2. There are strictly mechanical aspects of choosing strings having to do with the way they fit.

If I had to stack coils on my tuner shafts to prevent nut buzz, I wouldn't get strings that have that uneven winding under silk at the end. If I had weird tuner positioning, like 5-in-line on an extra long scale, I'd have to check length. For these two problems, DR strings are great.

Fit on the other end can force choices. Once, I strung an old MMSR with a Roto 66 set and the ball end of one of the strings got stuck in the through-body ferrule. Had to find another string even though I liked the sound. And I had another problem, as I recall, the Linea-finished taperwounds used washers on the tiny ball ends and the washers didn't fit into the ferrules.

Player fit also matters. If I had to play very long nights, I'd probably go for a soft string that still sounded balanced and fat and smooth, like the Thomastik nickel flats.

And there are situational issues like louder strings for a noisy bass or weak pickups, plus optional issues like desire for reduced fret wear, desire for evenness of feel from string to string in a set, and so on.