Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, May 16, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Once again I will try to find some answers. My last inquiry may not have been clear enough. That is probably because I'm not sure how to phrase it. I'm playing sort of a hybrid style of music, a cross between rock, jazz, and rockabilly. And what I'm looking for is big sound. I need to play this music at a fairly loud volume, as I said in my last thread/question I am using a combination magnetic P.U. and K&K (bridge P.U.). I'm haven't experimented with different strings, don't know much about the different cores and what not. I don't do any bowing It is all piz and some slap. I would like more sustain if possible and that big (gnarly sound) if I may use a term from my old Rock & Roll days. Can someone give me some feedback on Helicores and Jagars also? Heard good things about both these strings. I happen to like Lee Rockers tone and I Know he favors Jagars but I don't know which ones. They are steel core from what I understand but do they make more than one steel core set? Lot's of questions I know but this is how I learn.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Jargars (Danish made) are rope-core steel strings and are available in three gauges; dolce, medium and forte.
    AFAIK, Lee Rockers uses the medium ones.
    These strings have the softest tone I ever got with a steel string.
    I know he sometimes use Thomastik Spirocores too, and they're about the opposite of the Jargars in tone, so you'd need to know which strings he used on a particular recording you heard to be sure.
    The medium Jargars have a short blue silk thread at the tailpiece end.
    The Spicorores have a long red silk thread.
    So if you have a Lee Rocker video, you could make the difference.

The Helicores are US made and are available in Orchestral, Hybrid and Pizzicato types.
    Each type is available in three gauges.
    The Orchestrals are aimed at the orchestral bassist, although several jazz players use them. They have a darker, shorter sustained tone for pizz.
    The Pizzicatos have a bright tone with long sustain, and the Hybrids somewhere in-between.
    I never tried the Pizzicatos but the Hybrids are probably the loudest strings I ever tried.
    Their tone is less bright than Spirocores but brighter than Jargars.

Hope this helps!