Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by godsmack, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Is it possible to buy a set of six strings and put the 4 biggest on a 4 string bass?

i think it is but i'm kinda dumb, so i'm asking you guys that know alot more then me.
  2. KumoriNeko

KumoriNeko Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Yes, but you have to ajust the truss rod becuase of the extra pull on the neck. Ohh, and you'll need to order a new nut and file it for those strings.
    There is, however, the possibility that neck will warp or break.
  3. Yeah, that's totally possible to do. But why buy a set of six strings when you can buy a set of five strings and only have to throw away one string instead of two? It's cheaper too. That way, you'd use the B,E,A, and D string and chuck the G string. With a six string set you'd chuck away the G and the C string, so just get the 5 string set.

If you wanted to get more in depth, you might want to widen the spaces at the nut to accomodate for the larger string your putting there. I'd take my bass in to a tech to have that done though, once you have selected the gauge of strings you will want to use.

Hope this makes sense.
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    First of all, buying a set of six would be useless for that kind of opperation, since the sixth string is the highest string. You would want to buy a set of 5 strings instead.

Second of all, I wouldn't recomend doing this, since it screws up the part after the fret board and before the headstock (dunno what it's called).

Third of all, I don't think it would work for all the strings, I tried tuning an A string (.85) to a D and it snapped.

Hope this answers your question. If you want thicker strings, just buy a heavy set of 4.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    What exactly are ya' thinkin - tuning your 4 string B-E-A-D?
    If that's the case, save a few $$$'s and get a five string set
    and use the B,E,A, and D string. You may need to file the nut
    slot(s) a little, depending on the size of the B. Same thing if ya'
    go with that giant set of Rotosound Swing Bass (RS66-LH) -
    G/65, D/80, A/105, and E/130 - Stainless Steel Roundwounds.
    The A's the size of most E's, and the E's like a big B :eek:.
    (they're ~$22 at just strings)
  6. you can probably just get a custom BEAD set somewhere. it would still be cheaper than a 5 string set, i think.
  7. Yeah, thank you all, i saw a new set of DR six'ers on Ebay, that was really cheep that's why i asked, thank you for your guys help.