1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waltzfordebby, May 28, 2007.

1. hey! i'm normally on the DB side of things, but i've been dabbling in BG a little more recently (so forgive me if you haven't seen me here before... i'm on DB alot) i've been noticing a couple things about my schecter custom4.

a. it's really bright for my tastes
    b. it's pretty fun to play electric

i'm strung with the stock elixirs that came with the axe. i was wondering what kind of strings i should be looking into to get a warmer tone with less pop. i'm a player that likes playing melodic lines and is not much of a slapper.

thanks

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you are looking for less top with good mids and bottom Tyr the Thomastik Jazz flats JF344 or 345 If it is a 34" scale. They are warm and woody with good mids and decdnt bottom end and laid back Highs. If you want real thump check out Labella Deep Talkin"flats 760FL They are what they are called get that nice thump you might enjoy if you want to get closer to that DB sound with an electric.

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    D'Addario Chromes

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The medium Chromes seem to have too much tension for my Fender Jazz. Are the lighter ones better (less tension)?

I have the TI Jazz flats on another bass and I really love the feel of them but there's not a lot of definition in them.

I have the Smith superslicks on my Jazz right now but I'm still undecided about them.

Any other suggestions?

5. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Not to argue Just stating my observations I have had Thomastik Jazz Flats on MY JP-90 For several years and I would not call them undefined They are more middy than Labellas and Daddario Chrome flats But I have never noticed a lack of definition unless you compare them to Brite Rounds. Just curious because we all describe things differently How or what is missing that would make you call them undefined? I would like to know. Just for information what type of bass and all that. Thanks.

And sorry about the slite Hijack.

6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The chrome flats are very good strings and Fender flats are decent sounding too but the fenders are very high tension like the SIT power FLats.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have the TI jazz flats on a G&L ASAT. I love to play these strings but for a lack of a better way of describing it, I find them to lack in definition. I would be comparing them to rounds or Chromes. It could be that bass. I didn't like rounds on it b/c it was too brite, chromes didn't sound good on it either. I like the sound of the TI jazz flats on it.

Now I'm looking for a string for my Jazz. I put on med. Chromes and I had to really adjust the neck due to the high tension of them. I didn't feel comfortable leaving them on it so I'm looking for something with less tension. I was going to try the lighter gauge Chromes.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021