Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KillsOn4String, Mar 21, 2002.

1. KillsOn4String

KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    I was wondering, do you all ever just break your E-string while your playing with your band or a group? I'm thinking I must be cursed or something, and everyone thinks I must play sh**ty if I keep breaking my strings, but I consider myself better than sh**. I play with a rock group and I've been experimenting with my bass and trying to get some fked sounds out of it by slapping and popping power chords. The first time I broke my string I had my Jackson concert bass in drop c, so I didn't get to suprissed by it. But then it happened in drop d, and numerous times in standard tuning. What the hell is wrong with me? :confused:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Either you have a sharp edge at the bridge or you pluck WAY too hard.

Use a lighter touch, tone and speed will improve. Let your amp do the work.

3. KillsOn4String

KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    Now that i think about it, it's always near the bridge.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check for sharp edges and file them away.

5. KillsOn4String

KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    Thanks

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, I have the same problem w/ my B and E strings, though it might be that they are tapercored strings, they always break near the bridge, even thoug I went through with a loupe and a diamond bitted Dremel tool...still. Problem is that when I play with my band, even at practice, I PLAY and even more so at shows. I can't help it, but it's about every month to month and a half, so I can't go springing for DRs every time...so I'm stuck w/ Fender strings...

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Your not only one!!!

On two different basses I have broken the E string 1 week apart playing the same part of the same song.

I have since stopped using Elites strings!!! I have played the same basses without any adjustment through the same song lots of times with other strings and there have been no adverse effects!!

Could it be your choice of strings???? MY preference now is for Roto 66' Stainles Steel, but will use Warwick Redlabel or Trace Elliot strings too

8. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Me too me too!

I just popped my E last nite. Sucks as we were only 4 songs into rehearsal. I wish I could play as JMX said: Either you have a sharp edge at the bridge or you pluck WAY too hard.

Use a lighter touch, tone and speed will improve. Let your amp do the work.
    But I guess old habits are hard to break. It's very difficult for me to have "spider hands", i.e. light touch, loud amp. Whenever I try, I end up playing too hard and overpowering everyone in the room.

I put on some Super Slinky EBs, E string 100 gauge. We'll see how they do tonight!

Gwon

9. pedalpointer

pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    It's probably your choice in strings. I've talked to several other basses over the net who all say they've broken string before while I have never broken one myself. I've been using Ken Smiths since I started playing several years ago and not one of them has ever broken.