Strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MUSICRTW, Sep 4, 2010.

1. MUSICRTW

MUSICRTW

Aug 16, 2010
    Does anyone think that having flat wounds on a fretted bass would sound good. I play jazz

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Yes!
    I had the "mis"fortune of picking up the wrong set(flats instead of rounds), and I've never been happier. There is less treble, and more warmth. And it doesn't have to sound like an upright, though it can if you want it to.

3. It's purely subjective but many of the players here on TB use these on their fretted basses and love them. James Jamerson was a big trend setter.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    is that not what all the original electric basses from fender, ric, or hofner came with in the first place?

5. I have a set of TI flats on my 54 Sting Reissue Precision. Wonderful.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If you like the sound of flats theyre fine for fretted bass. Never could understand their appeal myself. But many like them.

7. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Most of if not all the Fender 60/70's jazz came stock with flats.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021