Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by noetical1, May 1, 2003.

1. Hi Mr. Watt:

What kind of strings do you use on your bass?
    Any particular brand?

Flatwound, roundwound, halfwound, piano style?

Do you use different strings for different applications?

Do you have any special string routines you follow?
    Do you change them frequently or infrequently?

After you string up, do you clip off the spare string at the end or just let it poke out?

inquiring minds would like to know,
    David P
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Good Question!

I almost asked you this once too.
  3. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    I'd be willing to bet Mike's using rounds. Dunno about the brand; DR, maybe?
  4. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    medium or medium light Dean Markley or Danelectro short scale strings.

At least thats what BP said.
  5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    at least that I think's what he's been using with the EB3. His other basses were longscales.
  6. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I used that w/j mascis got he got them econo. I did use danelectro ones and dug them (they were econo and I didn't have to cut them cuz the were the right lenght - the usual string is for a standard scale or 'long scale' and my little gibson has only a 30 1/2" scale instead of 34" like most the others) but can't find them anymore. are they still being made, anybody know?

these days for the gibson eb-3, I use Ernie Ball onese usually, the bright green pack w/this gauge: 50-70-85-105.

(they call it 'regular' - go here:

I use heavier strings cuz of the short scale and not wanting the strings flabby.

I just got some d'addario strings of the same gauge as the ernie ball ones cuz they were even more econo. I find one set last maybe five or six gigs on tour (playing every night). usually when one snaps, the others will soon follow so it's good to change then for sure.

on bass, watt

on bass, watt