Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringspacing? Narrow or broad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Normal/broad (19-20mm)

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Narrow (16-17mm)

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Just wondering: most bassescompagnies have narrow spacing on their 5 and 6-stringbasses.
    But what do most people like?? A 'normal' 19-20mm jazzbass-spacing or more narrow 16-17mm??
    And why??

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    For me it all depends, I loved the narrow string spacing on my old Warwick Streamer 5 when I was playing finerstyle, it was so easy to fly all over the neck and up and down each string, but when it came to slapping it was a whole different story, I hated it because it was too narrow for me. I love bigger spacing, my MM Sterling is perfect for everything I do basically, and it sounds great, is built like a tank and looks great all the time. String spacing is all about application for me, depends on what I need to do.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I played standard (19mm) Fender-style four-string basses for 20+ years and that's what I'm used to.

I never realized how important bridge spacing was until I got a fiver with 17mm spacing. I can play it, but it isn't as comfy as my standard-spaced fivers.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hell if I know,,, what ever it is on my Lakland

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's no reason for <19mm spacing, even when you have small hands.

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i hate narrow spacing too when i slap.I have a spector 5 strings with 16.5 mm spacing and i hate that when i slap cos i sometimes make another string ring.lol

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like broad spacing for slapping. My Godin has i think 19mm spacing and my Hohner has maybe 17mm or 18mm. The Hohner is about as narrow as i can go before it gets uncomfortable.

8. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    So most of you like broader stingspacing and still the majority of the basses has narrow spacing!! Stupid hé!

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    after years of being scared of the broadnecks, i eventually bought one (Warwick SSI 20mm spacing), have to say it was the best thing i have ever done. Its just feels right. In fact its a real struggle to play my 'narrow' warwicks, i have to really battle with them. I need yo use the 'growl' of my thumb for one song in the set, and i dread picking it up.

10. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    A good reason might be if you like <19mm and find that you play better with narrow spacing.... I personally like 17mm spacing on a 5str as ive got thin fingers and find slapping no problem!

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Or if you are strictly finger style, then it would be fine.

Most slappers need the broad.

12. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I dont think there is a general rule that all basses must have wide spacing!!!

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i love my broads

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't slap much. I prefer 19mm for fingerstyle.

15. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I played nothing but Fender jazz basses for 15 years. It was a big change when I finally got a Modulus Q5 with it's 17mm spacing. At first I had a tough time with it but now that I've gotten used to it I prefer the tighter spacing, particularly on a 5er. It makes it much easier for me and my smallish hands. I don't slap much but when I do I haven't experienced any problems with the Modulus. I still switch back and forth between the Q5 and a jazz on gigs. No problem. Ya just gotta practice.

16. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Narrow. I play a lot of chordal lines, and the narrower the spacing, the easier the fingering. Besides, I'm trying to wean myself away from slap.

17. What I want to know is why Fender, Ernie Ball, and G&L all use the same narrow string spacing. The one thing that keeps from me wanting an SR5 is that spacing. Wouldn't a wide-neck option on the L2500, Bongo or SR5 be great?

18. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    (18-19mm).

19. well.. the same dudes name is on two of the basses (Fender and G&L) and all three involved leo fender

20. Wide all the way. Narrow spacing is nice for picking, but it sucks for fingerstyle and slap.