Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    How come that the D string often feels tighter than the others?(at least to me)
    Is there any stringbrands/gauges with more even feel?
  2. What brand, gauge and bass are you using?

I like Thomastik-Infeld strings and I use four styles. They feel even within each set but the different types of strings, have different tension ie, the Jazz Flats have lower tension across the board compared to the other three sets!

Jazz Rounds
    Jazz Flats
    Power Bass Series
    Super Alloys

Jazz Flats

3. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Thanks again
    I'll check them out
    But I'm living in Sweden and havent found any dealer here, so I contacted Thomastic-Infeld by mail
  4. I like the TI Jazz Flats. They are buttery smooth to play...and have a deep thump but not as well defined a low as I like. I presently use DR Fatbeams. These play well enough, feel better than most round wounds due to the compressed winding. They are not as easy to play as the TI Jazz flat but then nothing is in my opinion. TI flats are the easiest playing string I have used. I am going to try the DR LowRider string this weekend as I am told they have well defined low end, nice mids and highs. I tried the SuperAlloy string but wasn't very impressed. Maybe with all the hype I was expecting too much out of them. Their low end just did not do it for me.
    So far my too favorite strings are DR for rounds and TI for flats.
    I could do so many things with the TI flats but they would make me get lazy on technic and my regular guitar would suffer. Wish that were not true because...they were killer on feel and playability for sure. They made me sound better than I really am.
    Treena...I am new at bass and find going from TI flats to rounds a real challenge. I do not know how you do it with ease. :bag:
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

It really shouldn't be making as much of a difference as you're making it seem like. Sure rounds are a bit rougher, but they don't hinder your ability to play.
  6. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Now I've got contakt with the Swedish dealer for TI str.
    I've got some more Q's that I hope You know the answer to before I decide
    Do You think there is any differences in sound between Daddario XL (nickelplated roundwound) and TI Jazz Roundwound (nickel)? I guess TI Jazz has more even tension (feel) but do You think they are smoother to?
    Or, should I go for the TI Jazz Flats?
    I've only tested Daddario Chromes flat str. but I think thought they were a bit "sticky" to my fingers and a bit "stiff" to play.
    I intend to use the strings on my newky bought Ibanez Artcore Semi Hollow bass (orginally stringed with Daddario XL roundwounds, but I think they are to "clanky" for that bass and the sixties styled/semi acoustik outfit where I'm gonna use it)
  7. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I found this in another thread:

Registered User Join Date: Apr 2002

Originally Posted by Joe_Atlanta
    Here's my take on them. After playing DA XLs heavies on my EMG P/J equipped BB3000 for many years, I switched last winter to TI Jazz rounds (thanks Mike D!). I really liked the TI acoustic set on my Ren fretless and loved the low tension (after I got used to it). From what I could find out about the Jazz rounds, they would fit the music I play and give me the lower tension I was looking for.

Mostly, I need a somewhat old school sound, with the ability to get some cut when I want it. They've been pretty much perfect for me. Slightly thicker in the mids (my D and G strings sound fuller) than the XLs, they are smoother to the touch and to the ear. After a few hours break in, they don't have the somewhat edgy treble sound that I would have to dial out with the XLs. They are touch sensitive so when I dig in, they cut with a nice mid honk. I've had them on my bass for about 6 months (approximately 40-60 hours a month) and I'm just starting to feel like I need a new set. YMMV.

Here's a bite from a gig when they were about 3 months old. P 90%/ J 60%/ treble 70%. SWR220/Fishman Pro EQ DI.
    File is about 525K, Zydeco T live at Jake's: jazzrounds.mp3

I fully agree with Joe. I used TI's after using D'addario XLs (although I only used 'em for a few months). Great strings, they had a nasty sound to them at first that I hated, but they broke in quickly and warmed up nicely. The feel is also especially nice. The low tension makes them very pliable and they reward good technique. In addition, the windings on them are of very, very small wire so they feel very smooth for rounds and are easy on your fingers.

So I guess I will put on a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my
    Ibanez Artcore semi hollow for a smoother/more even low tension sound/feel than the Daddario XL's, but maybe a bit more "allround" sound than TI Jazz Flats