Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stringthrough bridge and flatwounds, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by natasmi, Jan 27, 2004.

1. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Hi, I am thinking of getting a bass with a string through bridge but I use flats. I have heard that the string angle can hurt the outer ribbon wrap somehow. Is this true with modern flats? Does any body here use flats with a string through bridge? Are there bad results? Thanks.

2. I use TI Jazz Flats on my 51' reissue.....no problems here!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    TI's work. JO Flats didn't. Make sure you check the length more than anything else.

Dan

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I currently have Rotosound flats on my MIA P bass with string-through. You see a slight separation of the winding right at the witness point, but I can't notice any problem with the sound after 8 months.

Tom

5. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Thanks people, I guess I'll try it, I seem to remember problems with the windings separating years ago but can't remember the offending brand of strings, How much longer do the strings have to be to go string through?

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

Depends on the bass and the string brand. TI's, D'Addario, and DR's fit my Godin, Fenders, and Peaveys with regular long scale. Laklands I needed to get extra long scale.

Dan

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Fender flats here, on a string thru bridge.

They've only been on a few months but there's no problems... Played it for about 6 hours on Saturday in E and Eb tuning.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    :D Nice to see you again Treena!

10. I had flats with my STB without any problems.

11. I use Fender flats on my 2-TEK Hamer with no problems.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I use the Fender 9050 M flats on my Fender American Series Precision and use the string-thru-body feature of the bridge.

I get good sustain with no issues regarding windings coming off or apart and I've had them on for over six months.

The only issue with the Fender flatwounds is that they have quite high tension, but they do have a beautiful smooth finish that makes it easy to slide and bend.