1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strinsg for maple fret board

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by myhot4, Aug 14, 2007.

1. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Just wondering what strings you use on your basses with maple fret board. So far I have tried Dr Lo riders, EB Slinkys, GHS Boomers and DR Hi beams. All these strings sound harsh/metalic with a maple fret board So i can't get the sound that is in my head. So maybe, what works for you, might work for me.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I suggest you try a nickel string, or maybe even ground wounds or flats.

3. JohnSS

JohnSS

Jun 4, 2007
    Groundwound D'addarios sound great w/my brother's 70's P-Bass. Have enough twang for John Entwistle kind of lines but enough bottom for James Jamerson groove.

4. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    This may seem like a dumb question, but have you tried letting the strings deaden out a bit before deciding you didn't like them? I had a similar experience the last time i tried a new set of strings, I gave them time to settle and now i love the sound.

5. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Like the above poster said. Let them deaden a bit. I've got GHS Boomers on my basses. After a couple of weeks that harsh sound goes away.

6. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    thanks for your advise guys. I will be trying Daddario xls next.

7. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Myhot4, I hope you like the Daddario XL Nickels. I use them on a '97 American Standard P-Bass and a 1973 P-Bass. Both have maple boards and the XL's sound great. Like Siegy says let them age a bit. They will sound "Bright" at first but turn nice and warm after some playing. I can't find a better string for my needs. Dave

8. Rotosounds sound great out of the box, and get warmer the longer they're on the bass.