1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Striping a Fender Highway 1 P-bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stompboxx, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I have a Highway 1 P and I'm throwing around the idea about stripping the finish off and going for the natural look with a clear coat. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you have any pics of it. Some folks have said just buy a natural finish one but to be honest its one of the best necks I've played and I love the tone. One thing that comes to mind is will the clear coat finish change that tone I love. Any Input?
    Thanks

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Last time I stripped a bass, it was a complete mess. I'd see if there is a professional around who can do it.

3. I have found a pro guy who does this often. His work is beautiful. If I do it I'll post some pics.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Good. Yeah, I'd go natural if you like the look.

5. Don't expect a good pro job to come cheap, though. Expect to pay $300 or more for a top quality job.

6. There is a definite reason that certain bodies are picked for painted while others are used for clear finishes - the quality of the wood and the precision of the visiual match between boards. You might find some awful looking pieces under that paint. Don't assume that it's something pretty.