Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Striping a Fender Highway 1 P-bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stompboxx, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I have a Highway 1 P and I'm throwing around the idea about stripping the finish off and going for the natural look with a clear coat. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you have any pics of it. Some folks have said just buy a natural finish one but to be honest its one of the best necks I've played and I love the tone. One thing that comes to mind is will the clear coat finish change that tone I love. Any Input?
    Thanks

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Last time I stripped a bass, it was a complete mess. I'd see if there is a professional around who can do it.

3. I have found a pro guy who does this often. His work is beautiful. If I do it I'll post some pics.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Good. Yeah, I'd go natural if you like the look.

5. Don't expect a good pro job to come cheap, though. Expect to pay $300 or more for a top quality job.

6. There is a definite reason that certain bodies are picked for painted while others are used for clear finishes - the quality of the wood and the precision of the visiual match between boards. You might find some awful looking pieces under that paint. Don't assume that it's something pretty.