Striping my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, May 6, 2002.

1. hey guys.. over teh summer holidays I'm thinking of getting away with my horrible paint job that is on my bass. BUT! I'm not sure how..

Is paint striping a bad idea? Should I sand it all off?
    I'm thinking of then painting it white, or just varnish the natural wood, then sand that GENTLY to make it look like it has wear.. (I duno, I just think it looks cool), then add a black pickguard (or something of the sort..)

If I was to do it white, what kind of underlayers would I have to put on the wood?

Feedback welcome..:cool:
  2. sand the finish to bare or near bare wood, final sanding with 400 - 600 grit. then sanding sealer, then use white automotive primer, then automotive LAQUER BASED PAINT! then several coats of laquer based clear coat. this may not be the way everyone refinishes, but i've done many woods like this and it comes out awesome. (don't use enamel paints)
  3. I think a striped bass might look silly (unless your band is called The Zebras).

_Stripping_ your bass should work out OK, though.

Sorry, I'm an English teacher, and this stuff is important to me. . .
  4. LOL dude! I'm so very sorry, do I hur your perfect xistence?? (;))

Just one more question I forgot to ask, will be ok to use apaint brush, or would an air brush be more suited to the job?

Thanks fretbuzz. :)
  5. NO BRUSHES, NO BRUSHES PLEASE! im not sure about your corner of the world but you should be able to buy the primer, paint and clear coat in spray cans. i use automotive part stores for the best selection of colors.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what kind of wood is it underneath? if it's something with nice color/grain i'd just sand it naked and tung oil.

if it's alder though, those can have nasty green streaks in it.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    what about the greastest christian hair band ever?? striper!!! :) how could you forget about them.. they had stripes all over and they didn't look silly at all... ;)
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Tell that to Eddie Van Halen!:D

I have a degree in Journalism. I feel your pain.
  9. Well.. After throwing my bass at the rig again it seems might be pine, but it looks darker, that could of course be the undercoats.
    No green streaks.. My bass is pretty cheap, so cheap wood for the body is expected.
  10. microbass, its your call but i really dont think natual is the way to go with an inexpensive bass. you could pick out a sweet color and go to town!! the chicks will flock to you, no doubt.
  11. nice touch with the dice knobs, i should think about hanging a mexican fender pick up from my rear view mirror.
  12. What would be wrong with the natural finish, buzz? Just curious.

And I was thinking of a dark blue, like the fender's (Mike Dirnt's - sorry couldn't think of anyone ;))
  13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Most of the times, and this is true in almost ALL brands, the wood under a painted finish is ugly, especially on dark finishes. The reason is simple : the best looking woods are reserved for "natural" finishes, so that the "natural" instruments look the best possible.

This does NOT mean that the QUALITY of the wood is not as good, this is only a matter of esthetics.

If your bass is currently painted (solid colour), you don't know how the wood under looks like, but there are many chances that it is ugly. So, unless you want to have an ugly natural bass :D, I guess it won't be possible to have it refinished with transparent varnish. Dark blue, as you suggested, seems more pertinent. But anyway, you will know only when you have removed the current finish...

Hope this helps,

All the best,
  14. oh hey, there is nothing wrong with natural finish. but as stated above, unless its a real nice grain pattern, it looks cheap, ya know. dark blue would be killer!! also there are many great shades of blue for the automotive market so you should be able to get the shade you like. go for it bro. i cant wait. peace