Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Ampeg 8x10 Vintage cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Feb 27, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    A friend of mine has an old Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab that he has sitting in his basement. He has blown (and replaced and blown again) most of the speakers. He stripped the tolex and was going to paint it custom style, but abandoned it when he stopped playing bass. Structurally, it's built like (and is also the size of) a brick----house.

My reason for posting: What is an empty old SVT 8x10 cab worth? He doesn't know and I never priced one. I know that 8x10's in general lose a lot of value due to lack of portability and shipability, but what's someone who wants one willing to pay?

(This doesn't count as a "For Sale" link... yet, so please don't kill it Mr. Moderator)

2. What'd he blow 'em up with?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Heck, I don't know...the $20 figure sounds good...maybe more certainlly well below $100.

How many speakers are left?

Keep in mind that SVT speakers are 32 ohms so that they can be connected in parallel for a cabinet impedance of 4 ohms.

Buying speakers...or having all 8 reconed is going to be expensive. Figure it all out before you start throwing good money after bad.

But have fun!!!

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Here's 1 pic, it gives a slight idea.

I'm not sure if all are blown out, but whatever was most certainly was blown by his vintage SVT 300wt amp.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Interesting...

You'd probably be amazed at how much the grille cloth and Ampeg nameplate would bring on eBay....

Speakers are still a potential big expense...I'd still offer low and see how bad he wants to get rid of it.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I would say about 50 bucks would be reasonable

7. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I bought an old V9 cab from a guy in the same shape..at least 4 torn cones and no tolex for $75...I'd stay under 100 since recones/replacements are gonna cost ya...

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, he wanted $100, but said no lower than $75, so I guess I have what I need to know. If I could actually use it, I'm a tinker-er, so I'd probably figure out how to wire it with a crossover and use 4x10 on top and a 15 on the bottom (to save myself from having to buy 3 speakers). Plus, I have a bunch of 8 ft sheets of veneer that I could "wrap" it in, then laquer. But I have no need for that fridge at the moment.

I think what I'll do is part it out, then sell the shell. I bet SOME speakers work.