1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stripped bridge screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I am enquiring as to the easiest way to repair some lightly stripped bridge screws. I have 3 screws, 1 is tight, 1 is slightly stripped and the third has no real threads at the tip but holds fine up to that point. Basically they are a small bit off of being tight. I have heard of the toothpic method being used for the strap lock screws and I was wondering if this is an option for this situation also? I don't really have the tools availabe to look into dowels and lots of re-drilling :p.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't think using the toothpick method will hurt anything. Just use wood glue like Elmer's or Titebond in the hole, but don't use any kind of epoxy or gorilla glue. Keep it to glues that you can eventually heat or drill out if the situation gets worse. I'd darn sure cram that hole full of wood, too - don't leave room for the screw to get loose.

OH - and replace the bad screw. There's no point in using a screw that you know is damaged.

3. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks for the reply, I shall source some wood glue. Luckily the bridge won't likely need to be removed for a while after I set the ground wire properly. I have actually read about the gorilla glue, seems like pretty scary stuff!
    I did incorrectly refer to the screws in the OP as having stripped threads when in fact it is the wood, my bad :D