1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stripped Down Basic Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Mar 4, 2008.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I've decided to go with a super stripped down approach to my gear, using only things that original bass guitar players used, and having a very basic sound. I have my bass all figured out (Fender Precision, with Fender Flats), but I need to to know what I should be looking at as far as amps go. Should I be looking for a particular brand? Style? Size? Speaker Configuration? Wattage?. Help me out with this.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have to say that what you've got, vis a vis your profile, is about as basic as it gets, unless you are driven towards a combo for convenience.

3. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that, because after my original post I realized that I probably would prefer a combo. I don't see many all tube combos for bass, so if anyone had any recommendations, I would appreciate something in that vein.

4. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    why?

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Why not? That's his thing and you should respect that.

I'd say a B-15 from between 60-65 if power isn't important. If power is, and you don't want to lug an SVT, I'd say get a Markbass or a Genz Benz or one of those other new little heads. I'm not quite as old school as you, but I do have a P with flats and a B-15N from 64, and I have an LM2 and the Mini CMD121P combo with an LM2 built in, and it compares very favorably with the B-15 in old school quotient.

But if you want to be authentic, I'd say go for old tube Ampeg. B-15, SVT, V4B, etc. The original bassists used 12"s and 15"s (even Ampeg founder Everett Hull's early bass amps from the late 40's were 12" and 15" combos), but once the SVT came along in 1969, 10"s became sort of a standard.

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I play old school Blues R&B and Classic rock ...

Usually these days with a Jazz, but I gotta say I also generally use a Mark Bass LM II or a Genz Shuttle 6.0 with two Mini 10" cabs. I really personally see this as the new B-15 of our time, both cabs and the head under 50lbs.

Now if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic I'll drag out this fat daddy rig 200 all tube watts with 2x12s and a 6" mid.

Buster.

;) ... If ya really want a combo there was a Mesa Buster combo too, with a 1x15 ... Oh but the weight.

7. I know exactly what that sounds like; it sounds like "get down and boogie".

8. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    2x15 and a tube amp.

Don't have enough experience w/ tube amps, so my recommendation is try out as many as you can.
    Ampeg and Sunn/Fender are probably the most old-school ones.

As for 2x15, depending on your budget you can get an old Peavey w/ BW speakers or a Sunn 2x15 on the cheap (I see them often on craigslist).
    If you are looking for something nicer that still retains that old school vibe, then there's the Bergantino NV215, which is two 15" and a 6".

9. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    and how is it disrespectful to ask why someone is doing something?

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I understand the guy's approach. Thing is, he has a stripped down setup already, he mentions it in the original post. "Fender Precision w/ flats". That's about as stripped down basic bass tone as you can get. The amplification from there is much less of an issue. If you want to stay w/ the old-school p-bass w/ flats vibe then go for a tube amp and some 15s.

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I would think, for an "old school combo", if you aren't going B15 ... maybe a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo? I mean, with a P and flats, you can get vintage tone out of many things if you dial down the tweeters and cut some treble and bass, and emphasize the mids a bit. But the Walkabout Scout just seems pretty vintage to me. Just an idea.

Good luck

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    It came across as a dig, like you were asking why would anyone want to sound old school.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I didn't see any disrespect. I saw curiosity. I want to know why, too. Early bass rigs sucked. My first rig was a 1965 Fender Bassman 50 with a 212 cabinet, and it sounded like absolute crap. Ditto the 1965 P-bass I played through it. I like rigs that sound great. Why doesn't the OP?

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Here's a very basic rig, and the sound is incredible.

GlockBlackTB.

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Who says they don't sound great? Just because your Bassman sucked for bass for you doesn't mean all early bass amps suck, nor does it mean someone else wouldn't love it for bass, nor does it mean that the 65 P was a crappy bass.

16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    IMG_0001.

17. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    thank you very very much.

if there was a thread saying "i want to completely redo my setup!" you would be curious?

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No, they suck for sure. No doubt about it.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sure! I completely redo my setup every now and then, so I like to see what other people do. My problem is I never shed any rigs.

FourRigsblkTB.

20. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    why dont you stop with all that nonsense and just go out and get a 4x10 already!!