1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stripped down, no pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Apr 29, 2006.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Quick curious question. Will your bass still make sound without any pots between the pickups and the output?

2. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Yep !

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You will just have a little (lot) less control, but you get a true-er tone! :p

4. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    yes. mark hoppus did that to his sig but he left one volume pot on. the absence of an interference with the signal makes the signal a lot hotter, giving you more tone/volume (not sure about tone tho)

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, there a few people on this board that don't have any volume or tone controls, as far as I know.

6. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    thats what i do

i leave the pots there to fill the holes but i wire the pickup stright through to the jack

i rely on plucking position and playing dynamics to control the sound and volume

cheers
    Lucy

7. I have done that to a couple of my basses. It works great if the bass sounds good. Some basses, Ibanez? really rely on their tone circuitry to work as a bass though. Honestly how many bassists ever use their tone or volume? I just change pickups for different tones/songs/parts of songs.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I tend to use my volume and tone controls too much. What you could do is get a super high resistance volume pot, to further separate the hot and ground electrically. Basically, a volume control is a resistor between the 2 electrical paths. The higher value the pot is, the more signal will go straight through to the output. This may be a way to get more signal, yet still have the volume control. Also, this may affect the control sweep of the volume, but it may be worth it for the tone benefits.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I disconnected the tone controls on my Dimarzio loaded Ibanez and like it sometimes and hate it others.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the nikki sixx signature blackbird bass just has a on/off switch

11. you can get a tone knob that has a true bypass when you max it out..

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I bypassed the Tone pot (left the Volumes in place) on a Jazz I had and the bass was brighter and louder after the mod.

13. i think it kills! just incredible tone! but it's crucial to have a really nice bass with good acoustic tone. and make sure you really know what you want. i'm extremely happy with all the different tones and dynamics i can get just from my hands. but again, i have a super bass to start with.

14. What kind of bass is that? Man it looks awesome! Do they make a fretted?
    About bypassing controls, I have only ever done it on basses I was not satisfie with tonewise. The ones I like I am afraid to touch anything for fear of screwing up the "vibe". I remember that a few years ago a ot of folks were modifying the fender tone circuits by getting a higher value pot and getting entirely rid of one cap.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep,

most all of the Dimento reviews are run straight to the jacks. I've found so many advantages to it that I rarely run otherwise.

In general to me the tone is more lively and raw but you need some means of regulating tone outboard for it to be practical in my experience, otherwise regardless of how decent the tone, it's the same tone. Fortunately that's not hard to come by.

If you don't need onboard controls it's actually a much more flexible system cuase you can plug into whatever you want for tone control. Basically akin to a true by-pass. I've rigged numerous boxes outboard including NTMB, OBP-3, BQC, Alembic and others. You can not only use any pre with the same bass that way but you can use the same pre with any bass and do side by sides that way.

Also, running a pup straight to the jack is a useful means for trouble shooting a bass. If the problem doesn't exist that way, you can rule out the pup and jack with few exceptions so the problem is likely elsewhere. There's not much trouble shooting in a bass with just pups and jacks - no spaghetti plate in the control bay.

Addendum: sort of glossed over it but in reference to the versatility aspect, if you get hold of something that's truly different, like the Alembic tone filter, it opens up a whole new world of tone. It's one thing to hear an Alembic bass with it's preamp and pups, it's another thing to hear a Ray pup, Bongo, SD Rics, Lane Poor, or whatever through an Alembic pre and be able to swap everything around at will.

16. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I'm starting to lean that way. I have a Ken Smith Burner with active electronics. The only pot I mess with is the Master Volume. The Bass and Treb are straight up - no boost/cut, the Blend is right in the middle.

I have been running passive lately (no eq'ing) and it sounds awesome!

I really don't understand why there is a need to have 2 or more eq's - eq'ing onboard, and then on preamps. I am trying to get a project bass going, the most I may have is seperate vol pots for each pickup so that I can manipulate tone.

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Something I'd been doing recently when using two pups is using a blend only. The disadvantage to that is that you still have to adjust volume externally but that's something I'm used to. Putting in a single blend minized onboard controls and permitted the mixing of the pups which is all I was really after. An interesting addition to that is adding a phase switch in with the blend which results in a variable phase control - completely useless at the blend detent cause the pups are exactly out of phase but 90% of blend puts out a useable bass tone out of phase. It adds punch, percussiveness, and air as opposed to in phase depending on where the blend is set.

Taking off on the Alembic thing again I didn't mention using Alembic pups with other preamps. What struck interesting about the Alembics is the pups sound like Alembics without the Alembic pre and the pre sounds like an Alembic without the Alembic pups - I expected one or the other to be the source of the tone.

That is the kind of stuff you can only know by seperating them. To me knowing exactly where the source of a tone is as important as getting a good tone, which is why I first started wiring onboard pres in outboard form. Knowing the source definitely makes getting a tone easier and makes for some great exploration and learning in the process.

18. danswon

danswon

Apr 26, 2006
    im doing up a cheap (possibly plywood) p-bass copy with a seymour hot p-bass, and im really tempted to do this, but would the crap inherent tone then be emphasised? anyone done this on a cheap bass?

19. I have recently shoved all the pots in the trash when i was working on shielding my bass so it wont hum or buzz!!!
    It turns out i like the tone much better now and it doesent make any noise!!!
    From now on i will only instal a on/off switch as an option!!! ;)

20. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Anybody have a schematic on how it can be done to mod a jazz?