Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped down

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjg, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I'm curious. I just got a new Musician's Friend catalog in the mail the other day, and I noticed that there was a special Strat model made for the Blink 182 guitarist with just the volume knob and a single pickup.

I already knew about the bassist's special P/J bass with the same setup.

Why would anyone want so little control over their sound?

I don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some may say that the less options you have, the more creative you are forced to be (jazz drummers, for instance, play on very small kits).

Also having alot of controls really loads down your signal. It can sound better with less stuff on there.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Word! Both my P-Bass and Musicmaster sound best in 'All Controls Bypass Mode'... The Jazz and Jack Casady are another story...

-robert

4. What I really don't understand is why a bass or guitar with so little cost so much?

5. Nato

Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    Well think about it their both playing punk which needs very little variety as compared to other styles. I know quite a few guys around town here who play punk and love that setup cause they hate messing with all the different knobs. They actually see it as being a good thing that it only has one knob. I personaly have no clue why this is supposed to be good but hey if it floats your boat then go ahead. It could also be because they just use the amp to get thier desired tone.

6. i have a friend whose guitar has only the neck pup and it's wired straight to the output socket. Sounds as good as any guitar I've ever heard.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think many would argue that the player makes the sound. I personally like simple setups because to me it sounds better. Mind you, I will use the EQ on the amp to augment my sound.

Simple is good. :D

Dan

8. because fender thinks (or knows) that there is an important bunch people interested in buying that guitar, and that they'll see it as the Great Axe hence it is this guy's signature model.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    These Blink 182 a basses are going for aroung $450, which isn't bad considering how much other signature Fenders go for. A Merle Haggard Tele (two pickups, one volume, one tone, three way switch) goes for $5000.

10. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    ya but the mearl haggart is a
    custom shop model meaning more precise craftsmanship and selection for quality woods and parts

meaning it's probobly made with very choice woods and hardware

11. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I think what makes a bass is primarily the woods.
    Work from the woods up (get a good pickup combination along with a bridge that suits your style)

True that on board preamps help us get that sound that we are looking for.

but we can always go back to KISS.

when you think about it...

Classics fender's was simplicity at its best.
    Not only that, but it was simplicity that musicians could use to play their sound.

When this simplicity dissappeared they all of a suden became vintage or valuable

There is a lot more that I am trying to find out about some of these new manufacturers that copied the jazz bass. Some have very reputable names which I respect very well. I think they seem to be taking over the market from the original because fender has taken it's overall craftsmanship to a lower standard to accomodate for more buyers.
    evidence in this matter is the new FMT jazz basses and the fender zone bass.

in my opinion I love the 75 jazz. Not too little options (I'd like to have a bit more tone shaping) but not too much either (but not a 4 band sweepable on board preamp with 3 contour switches)

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    the mark hoppus bass is MIM IIRC thats why it could be $450

while Geddy Lee's Jazz was MIJ. Thats why its around the $600-700 range

others (Marcus Miller/Stu Hamm/Jaco)'s basses are mostly MIA.

D

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Huh? Is that English?

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Among other (more important cost factors) do we need to discuss the better musician? BTW, I hate most country, but don't knock Merle;)

So the easy answer is the Custom Shop one and the woods etc.

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yes it is. What is the hard part to read? It is print after all ;)

MIM- Made In Mexico
    MIJ- Made In Japan
    MIA- Missing In Action!, or Made In America