1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stripped or stuck trussrod screw

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass-desires, May 6, 2010.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    What can I do? The neck isn't too bad, I want it adjusted better.

The screw is a 4mm hex key type, is pretty stripped out and when I can wedge it in and get some grip, it won't turn under more force than I have ever had to use on a trussrod.

I'm not about to force it.

So what can be done, or shim it and deal with it? Thanks!

2. Hi.

A luthier or an instrument repair person will most probably be able to take the old nut out and replace it with a better one.

A DIY approach can do more harm than good.

Regards
    Sam

3. Stop! You are correct to not force it any further. If you can get some grip then back the nut off the rod, it is better to remove and replace the stripped hex nut with a new nut providing to correct thread pitch. If you can NOT remove the nut, then follow T-bird's good advice and permit an experienced repair person to replace the nut and complete the set up.

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Thanks guys, I don't know of too many luthiers in my local area and how much it would cost. I shimmed the neck to get the action better without the truss rod and it helped. Thanks for the suggestions and/or info!