1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stripped out truss rod adjustment on a '73 jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by weeks82, May 12, 2004.

  1. weeks82


    Oct 10, 2001

    I've got a 1973 Fender Jazz. It has the exposed, silver truss rod adjustment. The inside where the allen wrench goes is stripped out. I was wondering what the best way to deal with this is. Is there a replacement available ? If so Where ? Thanks for any and all help.

  2. elgranluis


    Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Ok, this is what happens when yoy blow the head off a screw in say, a car or similar. You solder a new head or another screy directly on top of the one that{s stuck, so as to have some way of applying torque. Anyway, taking this to the bass world, you can superglue a long allen wrench or just a straigh one, to the truss rod bullet. when it dries out, you just unscrew as you would. dont forget to buy a new one before you take the old one out, They have them at stewmac.
  3. Brian, I have a couple of questions before I can help you out.

    Rosewood or Maple board?

    Here are a few links to truss rod repair sites, check them out.




  4. weeks82


    Oct 10, 2001
    Hi, thanks for the help guys. To answer the question it is a maple board.

  5. I'm not a luthier but I have had experience with Fender Jazz basses, all years and boards.

    I have never tried to replace the allen nut, I guess it's possible. :meh: I'm not completely sure how though!

    You can also have the entire truss rod itself replaced but, this too will be costly!

    Harrell S will have a better solution I'm sure, once he reads this thread, if not, send him a private message, I know he'll have a great reply! (screen Name pkr2)

  6. Thanks for those links Treena.