Stripped out truss rod adjustment on a '73 jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by weeks82, May 12, 2004.

1. weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH

I've got a 1973 Fender Jazz. It has the exposed, silver truss rod adjustment. The inside where the allen wrench goes is stripped out. I was wondering what the best way to deal with this is. Is there a replacement available ? If so Where ? Thanks for any and all help.

2. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Ok, this is what happens when yoy blow the head off a screw in say, a car or similar. You solder a new head or another screy directly on top of the one that{s stuck, so as to have some way of applying torque. Anyway, taking this to the bass world, you can superglue a long allen wrench or just a straigh one, to the truss rod bullet. when it dries out, you just unscrew as you would. dont forget to buy a new one before you take the old one out, They have them at stewmac.
  3. Brian, I have a couple of questions before I can help you out.

Rosewood or Maple board?

Here are a few links to truss rod repair sites, check them out.

4. weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    Hi, thanks for the help guys. To answer the question it is a maple board.

5. I'm not a luthier but I have had experience with Fender Jazz basses, all years and boards.

I have never tried to replace the allen nut, I guess it's possible. :meh: I'm not completely sure how though!

You can also have the entire truss rod itself replaced but, this too will be costly!

Harrell S will have a better solution I'm sure, once he reads this thread, if not, send him a private message, I know he'll have a great reply! (screen Name pkr2)

6. Thanks for those links Treena.