Stripped PG screw at jack plug

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimmy Blue, May 9, 2003.

1. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi all,

Any thoughts on resetting a stripped PG screw. The screw at the end of the pick guard next to the Jack input has stripped out of the P bass body. So when you pull the jack out it wants to lift the PG.

I don't want to use an oversize screw, could I fill with Elmers Glue and screw into place it once the glue has settled ? other thoughs ? This is an 83' 62RI P, killer Bass, light, resonant, thumpy, the whole bit. I don't want to damage the PU or alter the appearance. So the 1/2" drywall screw and a drill gun are not an option.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Push a small sliver of wood (a toothpick or cocktail stick is ideal) into the screw hole with some glue.
    Leave it to set and then replace the screw - job done!
  3. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
  4. That's a good idea.

You can also get "liquid wood" or something close to it at most hardware stores.

May 7, 2003
    what i did when i replaced a p/gaurd on my jazz bass was that i put some liquid wood putty in the holes(it had toothpaste type dispenser w/ a pointy nozzle).I put the nozzle right against the body of the bass where the hole is/was,then applied d/ward pressure on the tube while squeezing out the glue(just a drop will do)till it fills up the hole,then i took a toothpick and packed it down a little while also making a little hole in the top of the putty so when i begain putting the screws back in they already had a pilot hole to start with. its a very simple project and once you get the hang of it you are ready to de-freet your bass all by yourself.LOL JUST JOKING:D . but all kidding aside i did de-frett my own bass after only doing little projects like this one myself,these little projects gave me the confidence to tacke the larger ones.;)
    good luck
  6. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'd like to offer a suggestion, those 'in the know' please shoot this down if it's not a good idea.

Some time ago I saw an episode of New Yankee Workshop (maybe This Old House) where Norm was re-attaching something and the screw holes didn't quite line up. He made a paste out of wood glue and sawdust, filled the hole, let it dry overnight, then drilled a new hole in the now correct location, which displaced a part of the glue/sawdust filler. I think the gist was that this little trick was better than using wood putty. I've used this method several times on things other than basses, and once on a strap button that was stripped on a friend's Yamaha bass. Anyone ever do this, any thoughts?
  7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    That's an excellent fix, the only downside is that it takes ages to dry before you can drill, screw, whatever...