Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped PG screw at jack plug

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimmy Blue, May 9, 2003.

1. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Hi all,

Any thoughts on resetting a stripped PG screw. The screw at the end of the pick guard next to the Jack input has stripped out of the P bass body. So when you pull the jack out it wants to lift the PG.

I don't want to use an oversize screw, could I fill with Elmers Glue and screw into place it once the glue has settled ? other thoughs ? This is an 83' 62RI P, killer Bass, light, resonant, thumpy, the whole bit. I don't want to damage the PU or alter the appearance. So the 1/2" drywall screw and a drill gun are not an option.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Push a small sliver of wood (a toothpick or cocktail stick is ideal) into the screw hole with some glue.
    Leave it to set and then replace the screw - job done!

3. Jimmy Blue

Jimmy Blue

Feb 10, 2003
    Thanks Paul !:)

4. That's a good idea.

You can also get "liquid wood" or something close to it at most hardware stores.

5. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    what i did when i replaced a p/gaurd on my jazz bass was that i put some liquid wood putty in the holes(it had toothpaste type dispenser w/ a pointy nozzle).I put the nozzle right against the body of the bass where the hole is/was,then applied d/ward pressure on the tube while squeezing out the glue(just a drop will do)till it fills up the hole,then i took a toothpick and packed it down a little while also making a little hole in the top of the putty so when i begain putting the screws back in they already had a pilot hole to start with. its a very simple project and once you get the hang of it you are ready to de-freet your bass all by yourself.LOL JUST JOKING:D . but all kidding aside i did de-frett my own bass after only doing little projects like this one myself,these little projects gave me the confidence to tacke the larger ones.;)
    good luck

6. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'd like to offer a suggestion, those 'in the know' please shoot this down if it's not a good idea.

Some time ago I saw an episode of New Yankee Workshop (maybe This Old House) where Norm was re-attaching something and the screw holes didn't quite line up. He made a paste out of wood glue and sawdust, filled the hole, let it dry overnight, then drilled a new hole in the now correct location, which displaced a part of the glue/sawdust filler. I think the gist was that this little trick was better than using wood putty. I've used this method several times on things other than basses, and once on a strap button that was stripped on a friend's Yamaha bass. Anyone ever do this, any thoughts?

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    That's an excellent fix, the only downside is that it takes ages to dry before you can drill, screw, whatever...