Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Pickup Screws

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ddnidd1, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I just received a used bass in mint condition. The first thing I wanted to do was raise the pickup heigth. The neck pickup was no problem. However the bridge pickup was totally torqued down. There was no way to raise the height since the screws stripped rather easily and would't budge even a fraction of a turn. For what its worth they are EMG pickups.

I'm comfortable doing varied mechanical and electronic work. I setup and repair all of my basses so I'm not just some klutz who can't turn a screw properly.

Anyone have any suggestions other than drilling out the screw heads and backing out the screw bodies with small pliers?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I just had to do this today. I got my strongest, nimblest pair of pliers and, while slightly depressing the pickup, cut the screw heads off. It was kind of a pain, and in short-term laziness I just left the few broken bolts in and put the new pickups over them. Backing them out would be a real challenge, the metal is so soft, so those particular stripped screw spots may be lost forever on this project bass