Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stripped pickup screws...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mandobass, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    i got two used basses recently online and i want to switch the pickups. unfortunately the screws on one of the basses are totally stripped.

how in the world am i suppose to remove those things?

2. if the heads are stripped, the best way is to take a dremel with a cutting wheel, and carefully cut a slot into the head of the screw, and use a straight screwdriver to pull it out.

if you don't have a dremel, you'll have to find someone who does, or some other way of cutting a slot into the head......

and don't use the screws again :D

3. I've often used a very small pair of needle nosed pliers into head of the screw and started slowly turning it. It'll loosen to the point it becomes fairly easy to remove. Had to do it on a few units i get in for repair.

Or on the cutting concept.... get a small file and use the side of it to file a slot for a screw driver. Or a small hacksaw... sounds brutal but *shrugs* whatever u can find!

:D:D

Merls

4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    This is what I would try. There is a plier known as Vise Grips. They clamp REALLY HARD onto things. They come in a small needle nose type as well as jumbo size. Clamp those on the screw head and turn till they loosen to where you can use normal needle nose pliers. It may take a while. Just be carefull you don't mare the pickups to much if you care about them. The slot trick is good to, but tricky to cut. Good luck...