Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stripped pin...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Link, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    My brother decided to go into my room and play around with my bow- he over tightened the adjusting pin on the end, and stripped it completelly. I was hoping to try and "save" it- Does anyone know if its possible to find or order an adjusting pin (not the entire frog system) or is there someway to fix it (even a temp fix until I can order a new one)- It's a glasser fiber-glass bow. I'm not sure when I will beable to actuallly go out and pick up another bow and I don't think those hole saver things would do the trick too well. Thanks ~Link

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Sometimes if you turn the eyelet where the pin screws in 180 degrees you can save it
    But if its the pin thats stripped Im not sure if it will work:)

3. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    the pins completelly stripped:( -I'm prob just going to order a new bow when I order a bag and a stand... I'm going to try and get by with the I have bow until then- thanks anyways- I'll keep it in mind though for bows of the future:) ~Link

4. The eyelet on a Glasser bass bow is a common part that any violin shop or bass luthier will carry. I suggest that you have the luthier install the part since there is a right way to do it and the plastic frog is not too forgiving if you do it wrong. You are probably talking about a $10 repair in most areas. If your bow also need rehairing, this is time to do it.

5. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    another reason to hate the area in which I live- no local luthiers and limited music shops... I'm going to check in at Volkweins and see if they can fix it up- at elast i know it'll be somewhat cheap (w/ them it'll be a little over 10- I know that much atleast) goign to try adn get a french bow too... thanks for the info guys-~Link~

6. If you are going all the way to pittsburgh to get it fixed, I highly suggest you go to the Wallace Bass shop in the North side of Pittsburgh, on Brighton Road. I'm sure he could help you much more since he is specifically a Bass Luthier.
    Here is the name and #- Wallace Bass Shop,
    412-734-1307, e-mail - joebruwall123@msn.com

7. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    there are two Volkweins... one in Pittsburgh and one in Latrobe- okay Latrobe's is nothing like Pitt's but it's pretty much the only thing locally that isn't only guitars and drums- I"ve wanted to checkout the string shop in Pitt for a while. I've heard of Wallace Bass Shop, too but was never really sure of the location other than being in teh PIttsburgh area. I'll keep the number and address as a ref. for future bass care (hopefully not repairs...)- I know VW won't do repairs or anything like that because I didn't buy my bass from them. If Volkweins can't do anything with the bow- I'll check into Wallace's and see if I can get it rigged the next time I'm up that way-Thanks ~Link