Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Screw in Strap Button Help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nspark, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Well, I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm actually a bit surprised. Basically, the deal is that I got this bass used maybe 8 months ago and with another bass coming in, I decided to put Shaller straplocks on all of my basses. As I went to install the strap buttons on this bass, I found that the screws which are holding in the current strap buttons are entirely stripped out. I can't get 'em off and now I don't really know what to do.

I think I have some strange obsession with JB Weld because I was thinking of filling the strap button with JB Weld (so the whole button was epoxied to the screw) then would turn the whole button itself (hopefully not damaging the bass) to get the whole fixture out. Any help is appreciated.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The only surprise is that this isn't a sticky yet.

There are a lot of ways to handle this. Mine is as follows:
    1) Pull the screw out.
    2) Fill the hole with super glue.
    3) Drill a pilot hole in the old hole.
    4) Screw the straplock in.

3. I usually add in:

2.5) insert toothpicks into wet glue (2-3, as many as will fit)
    2.75) cut off toothpicks after glue dries, sand down to bass level

and I usually use wood glue, but I suppose super glue would work too.

4. Well, I swear I checked all the results for "screw" and "strip screw" searches. Lots of stuff about stripping the screw out of the hole, but I hadn't seen anything about the head of the screw itself being stripped.

I'm a little leery about just ripping the screw right out. That'll probably take some serious wood and paint out of this bass - and I'll consider other options first.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok, you are saying that the screw head is stripped.
    This calls for the Mighty Dremel Mini Mite.

Take the Dremel drill and either grind the screw head off,
    or cut a sufficient slot so a regular screwdriver can turn it.
    Choose an attachment that will work. A dremel drill is a must for
    Every toolbox and the Mighty Mite cordless rocks.

If you grind it off, then use vicegrips to take out the body of the screw.

Obviously, whoever put them on used a power tool or bit,
    damaging the screw. Always remove these screws by hand
    with a Phillips screwdriver.

:)

6. Okay, I'll consider this option - though I don't own a Dremel. I've been thinking of various uses for it, so maybe this is the chance to get it. However, there is one issue I'm curious about: These strap buttons are long. That is, the screw is recessed a good 1 cm into the bottom of the button, so I'd have to cut off the button first, then drill/cut the screw?

7. BAH, I'm stupid. I got 'em off. Thanks and sorry, guys.

8. Oh, yeah, don't just rip it out - sorry I illuded to that earlier. I just grab the whole thing with a vice grips and turn the whole unit. Unscrew all the way out that way, then do the hole fixing job and put a whole new strplock/srew on. But if it's recessed inside the horn or under the wood....hmm......:confused:

So you can't get to the shaft of the screw in anyway?

9. I got the screws out. I was just stupid. The screws were quite stripped, but I found a screwdriver that could do it. Thanks for the advice guys - in a way, I'm glad I didn't have to use it.

I'll delete this thread in a bit.

10. Thor

Leave it up, someone else may have a similar problem.

What I alluded to was after grinding off the head if required,
    and the if body of the screw remained, that is where you
    clamp the vicegrips on and unscrew with that.

11. Will do. Also, what you say makes sense now. I think taking any sort of cutting device to my bass scares me at first.

12. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    HELP!!!!im trying to put warwick straplocks on, Iv got the screw down half way and the screw head is busted allready. I cant screw it in and cant screw it out. And theres not enough room under the strap lock bit to fit anything under like some plyers or anything. This is very annoying, anyhelp on how to get this bast*ard of a thing off would be great thanks

13. Thor

I would get a small Dremel grinding ball and grind the screw head out if possible. Then use vice grips to extract the screw.

You could try recutting a slot for a standard screwdriver in the screw head, and using a standard screwdriver to back it out.

Worst case you can cut it off with a hacksaw. But you need to leave enough screw to get pliers on it and extract it.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm glad you clarified that. I was wondering how big your arms must be to rip out a screw. Plus, the damage that would cause, even if it were possible, would be excessive.
    ;)

You can buy screw extractors at you local hardware store for just a few bucks. Drill it into the top of the stripped screw, reverse your drill and the screw comes out automatically. No cutting, no damaging your bass. If you don't have a set of screw extractors at home, get some.

15. Thor

I haven't found them to be great for #6 screws though,
    as the extractors are prone to snap when they are that small.

But they are quite clever for larger screw diameters.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have a set from HD that I have used on smallish screws with great success. Probably just depends on the extractor.

17. Thor

There you go basspunk. Give it a go. Good luck.