Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Screwhole

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Dec 16, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The pickguard screw hole right next to my input jack is stripped. The whole thread in the hole is gone so the screw can pop right out. Are there any solutions to this? Thanks.

2. Stuff the hole with a couple of matchsticks or toothpicks soaked in Elmers glue.

- Wil

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    What will said Wil work great! You could also just get a screw that's a little bit bigger than the original. Wood is soft, and plastic is very plyable.

4. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm not exactly sure the concept of this? Will it make the hole tighter?

Sorry if it's over my head, just having a rough morning, heh

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stuff the hole and then screw/drilli into the toothpicks.

6. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Oh I see, so the tooth picks are acting like a wood fill..

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think thats the idea, never done it myself.

8. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sounds good, if not I'll use a larger screw. Makes sense..

thanks

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    another option..
    fill the hole with baking soda (not powder)..apply one drop of super/crazy glue...wait a few seconds, it will become harder then rock. re-drill the hole to the proper size.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You can fill the hole with Super Glue. Let it dry. It expands the wood fibers in the hole itself. It really works great. Also, tooth picks are a great repair. I have stripped out a couple of strap button holes and used tooth picks to fix them. Put the tooth pick into the hole as far as it will go. Break it off and fill the hole with glue and you are done. Very easy and very quick.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Don't use a bigger screw. It won't match. For a job as small as that one, you can even just put a couple of drops of wood glue in the hole without the toothpicks. Let it sit for an hour or so and run the screw back in.

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I did this with a strap button hole that stripped out. Worked like a champ.

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    :hyper: :p :hyper:

14. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'd also try and find a slightly longer screw to put back into the repaired hole.. maybe just 5mm longer just so it gets to bite into some fresh wood as well as the toothpick/glue repair area.

15. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I did something like this recently when I had to repair a mistake I made while routing under my bridge for piezos. I wedged a piece of foam into the gouge, then soaked it thoroughly with superglue. When I came back the next day it had dried extremely hard. I actually had a little trouble routing though it when I redid the channel.

16. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  17. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I would drill a 1/8 inch hole into the stripped out hole and glue in a piece of 1/8 dowel. Then drill a new hole the correct size.