Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped Screws

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davo737, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Here's an odd question. The head of one of the screws to adjust pickup height is entirely stripped - can't adjust it, can't seem to get it out. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Lates,
    Dave

2. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I would think they are Phillips screws.
    Try blunting the tip of a phillips screwdriver on a grinder just a little bit. By shortening the sharpest part of thr tip the screwdriver can get a grip on what's left of the original slots.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Excellent suggestion, jani!

If that doesn't work for you, try gripping the head (carefully) with a needle-nose Vise-Grip pliers (the ones that lock onto what you're grabbing). Turn the screw out a bit, reposition the pliers and turn it a little bit more. After a few turns, your screwdriver should be able to take care of the rest. As a final, final resort, you may want to buy yourself a cheap set of left handed drill bits. Set your drill on reverse (so the bit turns counterclockwise) and drill the head. The bit should catch and spin that bugger right out of there! Viola!

Good luck!

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't know if you have any, but dipping your screwdriver in a bit of grinding compound does wonders to add bite when removing a stripped screw.

Chas

5. This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to how basses are put together. The usual pickup screw is simply junk with it's soft brass composition, round head, and shallow slots for a screwdriver. You are not the only one to experience this frustration, believe me. With so many other details to look after in my building, I haven't yet tackled improving this system but I've thought about it. My solution would be to use a small, hardened allen bolt (#6 or #4) with threaded inserts into the body. I think this is how Alembic does theirs. In fact, as far as I know, Alembic uses no wood screws at all in their basses - just machine screws and inserts for even the smallest application. That would solve this aggravating problem.

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks everyone - glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to. I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know.

Lates,
    Dave

7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Got it out using the needle-nose pliers - took a while, but it worked. Also went to home depot to get a new screw, and of course, they use custom screws, so I guess its time to get on the horn with EMG.

Thanks again.

lates,
    dave

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Check with your local guitar shop. I think a screw is a screw (I replaced the pickup screws in my Washburn with "heftier" ones -- cost me 2 bucks for the eight of 'em). I installed the biggest screws that would fit through the EMG mounting holes.