Stripped truss rod hex

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bigbeefdog, Aug 23, 2004.

1. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    It seems the truss rod hex (the female socket where the allen wrench inserts at the headstock) has stripped in one of my Jazz basses. Tried it with a few different wrenches; it's definitely the hex in the neck. Can't get a bite anymore. Arrgghh!

Was flirting with the idea of trying to fix it (make it again adjustable) by inserting a short (approx. 3/4") piece of a male allen wrench, and affixing it permanently (attached to the stripped female hex) with some JB Weld. The stub would then remain permanently attached to the bass, sticking slightly out of the hole. Then I'll be able to turn the (now-male) allen wrench with a socket, a box-end wrench, or something of that sort.

Anybody ever tried anything like this? I'd love to hear "lessons learned", if there are any to be had....
  2. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I too would like some suggestions for this. Mine isn't completly stripped but it's pretty bad.

P.S. it wasn't me that stripped it, it was a highly recommended tech :rolleyes:
  3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Just a thought. If the hex is an imperial size can you try a metric hex that might squeeze in a bit tighter. You will probably still end up striping the hex more down the road but that might be a short term solution. Mayeb you alreadu tried this when you said you tried different wrenches.
  4. I think I saw a thread on this a while ago maybe If you search... But I remember on of the solutions is ordering a new bullet for the truss rod it doesn't cost much. I think you can get yours out with a ''easy-out''.
  5. The beauty of the Jazz bass truss rod, the adjustment nut will come off. You can easily buy a replacement and you are back in business.
  6. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, there's something I hadn't considered. I simply figured it was part & parcel of the truss rod itself.

Thanks, guys. If this is correct, it's a tremendous help.

Anyone know the procedure for removing/replacing the adjustment nut? I assume I'll have to remove the neck to do this, correct?
  7. If the adjustment nut is at the heel of the neck, then yes you will have to remove the neck. As for removing the nut, if it is under tension; You can hold the allen wrench a slight angle to compensate for the inner stripped hex. If that doesn't grab, you can try a small needle nose plier. Put the tip of the pliers it to the hex part then open them and try to loosen. If the above methods do not work, try putting a flat blade screw driver into the hex held at an angle and tap the screwdriver to loosen. It should come off quite easily. If you do not feel comfortable trying any of the above, bring it to a repair person.

8. I had this problem on a '74 Jazz and it was driving me crazy. Eventually, I found a solution by carefully (and I do mean CAREFULLY) cutting a small notch about 1/16'' deep at the very top (ie. across the hole) of the hex nut with a small hacksaw. Then it's just a simple matter of using a flathead screwdriver to unscrew the nut. It should work. :smug:
  9. Just out of curiosity, how often are you guys adjusting your truss rods?
  10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Very infrequently; usually only when I change strings.

But I'm not the first owner of this bass, so......
  11. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    As I said, it wasn't me, instead it was a foolish tech who doesn't seem to understand the difference between metric and imperial units.
  12. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I bought my Ibanez 5 string really chep because the socket was stripped out. I took the next size larger allen wrench and tapered the long end down small enough to fit in the socket. I then gently drove the wrench in and adjusted the rod successfully. Not an everyday type of adjustment you would want to make, but I never move my truss rods. I must just like my action higher than most or something, but I just have never had a problem.

13. BINGO!! We have a winner! :hyper:

Here's your solution - an "easy-out". This is used in machining to back out broken off bolts that are under the surface - just like your situation. The idea is to push one of these into the socket head and twist it off the trussrod. The easy-out has special spiral backward threads that tighten it into the hole as you twist it counterclockwise removing the nut. You might need to put a little oomph into it because these nuts aren't steel - they are cast white metal - and sometimes they can have oxidation between them and the steel trussrod. This is like glue and can really make it tough.

If you need to, you can also drill the hole a little deeper to get a better grip.

So where do you get an "easy-out" Try Sears tool department, or nearly any good hardware store. Even auto parts stores usually have these in stock. You'll be using the smaller ones in the set but they aren't too expensive and they are great to have around - just in case.
  14. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    just don't snap the hardened easy-out off in the hole (been there)! then you are truly in deep kaka!