stripped truss rod nut on Warwick Corvette Proline

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theautarch, Mar 22, 2003.

1. theautarch

Mar 18, 2003
    I just recently bought a Warwick Corvette Proline and the truss rod nut seems to be on it's way out. Does anyone know if these nuts can be replaced or is it attached to the truss rod? If I can just replace the nut that would be great. If not, i guess i'll have to take it back....i like the bass

thanks in advance...:bawl:
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm not familiar with your particular bass so I'm speaking in generalities.

If it's a conventional truss rod the nut is removable.

If the threads are only stripped on the nut, a nut can be found at the hardware store.

If the threads are stripped on the rod the nut may be shimmed with enough washers to get the nut onto undamaged threads.

The nut can be pretty difficult to get started unscrewing but once it starts it should screw right out.

You mention that you just got the bass. Is it still under warrantee?

If it is, I would consider returning it because any sort of problem with the truss rod can be very expensive to repair.

Good luck.

3. theautarch

Mar 18, 2003
    when you say the threads of the nut do you mean the part of the nut that the wrench touches? cuz that is the part of the nut that is stripping, not the threads that touch the truss rod. I bought the bass used and didn't think to check the nut. DOH! I believe i have 30 days to return the was the only one they had in the store though..:( we shall see...thanks for the info...
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry, I was talking about thread problems.

If you can get enough bite on the nut to remove it, it should be easy to fix.

If a hex type socket fits the nut, be sure to use a six point socket. a six point gives a better grip on a damaged nut.

If an allen wrench is used and the strip out is severe enough that you can't turn it, you'd probably be better off to return it.

Just replacing the nut probably wouldn't be very expensive if you carried it to a repair person.

The store you bought it from probably would cover the cost of repair rather than lose the sale.

5. theautarch

Mar 18, 2003
    I decided to return the bass. Of course the Asst. Manager was trying to play me down.
    "what's wrong with the bass?" ,as he plays it.
    "the truss rod is beat. The truss nut is stripped, my teacher took a look at it and said it was stripped also."
    "uh-huh, lets take a look at it in the back."
    we start walking to the tech area.
    I say, "it might have a few turns in it but after that it's gonna be useless." This thing was CRANKED down. The inner pin of the truss was sticking up through the nut.
    we get to the tech and the again downplays my teachers claim, "his teacher said the truss rod is beat."
    the tech looks at it, "whoa, it does look beat." he replies. he gets an allen key and tries to get a good fit. he looks at it again and claims that something was was broken off in the nut. he gets the allen key set and gives the nut a hearty turn.
    "ya see, when the bass sits for a while ya have to give it a good turn before it will move easier", says the asst. manager. THEN all of a sudden, as i was getting my final, i don't want it, line ready...
    The tech looks at me, looks at the bass..."Truss rod snapped."
    "what?", asks the asst. manager.
    "yep, it snapped." It shot the allen key 5 feet away!!!!!!!!
    so just to confirm the asst. manager puts the allen key in the nut and it spins like a pinwheel......
    so after that he tried to push me into some other basses, of course i left with nothing......i am much happier now.....:D

i figured you would enjoy the story....oh and by the new warwick truss rods or truss nuts are removable, that is from rob busch, the warwick tech. at the USA distribution company.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Wow! Lucky that you caught the problem early enough to return it.

I can picture the look on the techs face when it popped. A truss rod popping makes a sickening sound; kind of like hearing a bone break.

Glad everything worked out in your favor.

7. rpapi

Oct 2, 2010
    Nashua, NH
    Wow, I had the EXACT same problem with my Streamer II. For a bass that costs $5k new, things like that should NOT happen. Not really happy at all with my Warwick experience.