Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripped truss rod - worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 18, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Anybody know how much it costs to repair a bass with a set neck that has a stripped or broken truss rod? If I can save $350+ on the price of the bass, is it worth taking the chance? Anyone know a good tech in the Dallas area?:D

2. I would say it depends on how much the bass cost. If it was a cheap bass, I'd just change the neck. For a top line bass (which I don't own) I would have it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. If it was a REALLY cheap bass, Either live with or go buy a new one.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd have a tech check it out...sorry I can't recommend one in Dallas (let alone Chicago):(

While I believe you when you say that the truss-rod's stripped, what often times happens is that the nut is stripped or broken, not the truss-rod itself. If that were the case, I'd say the amount of work and associated cost is minimal.

4. Which bass Jeff? Please say it's not the Cirrus!! No!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

5. embellisher

No, Reed, it's not the Cirrus. It's a bass that I am currently 'watching'.;)

ChaosGwar, in case I wasn't clear, the instrument has a set neck, so replacing it would be tricky. And you wouldn't be able to get an exact replacement for it, without finding another bass just like it, and they are pretty rare.

6. Now that I re-read your post, I feel stoopid. Itchy trigger finger I guess. If I ever owned a high end bass like that, I would have to take it to a tech. I wouldn't want to take the risk of doing it myself and mess it up even worse.

Saving $350 on the price would more than likely get eaten up by the cost of the repairs, but is it worth it? It might be if it is truely a great bass.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    OK, OK, what kind of bass is it?!?!?!:p

If it's just the truss rod that's stripped, it might be a quick fix... depending. Some basses have a removable cap. the part that the allen wrenck goes into comes off & can be replaced. It'll be a quick fix if the trussrod works proporly in the 1st place. If someone was adujsting it w/the wrond size allen wrench, than HOPEFULLY the truss rod works.

If the truss rod is bad, you might have to remove the fretboard & replace the entire rod:eek: :( That jod requires alot of time & ALOT MORE money!!!!

Good luck.

8. embellisher

I have emailed the seller for more details, but I believe that the rod is broken, which would require fingerboard removal for the repair.

9. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I just bought a Washburn with a stripped truss nut. Breaks my heart. Does the rod in the bass you're looking at rattle? There are a number of folks in the Dallas area you could call, according to this link. Do a Edit/Find on "TX" when you open up the link.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/ronelong/makers.htm

10. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    It wouldn't happen to be an RD Artist, would it?

;)

11. I like Players Music in Hurst. They do very good work. If you're not opposed to coming to Tarrant County.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jeff - I've been thinking about this...

Y'know, with Rickenbacker, a stripped rod can be pulled out of the end of the neck and replaced - no fingerboard replacement needed.

I know you're asking about a setneck, but it may be worth checking into that technique!

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

13. embellisher

SSHHH!!!!:eek:

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I got a couple quotes a while back on having a neck reset on an acoustic guitar. Not exactly the same, but similar work. Steam off the board, etc. The quotes ranged from $300 and up, depending on the reputation of the tech.

I would guess the cost of your repair to be at or around that. Probably a little less. Certainly more than $200-250. I would guess that they would probably have to refret or at least reset some of the frets after the truss was fixed. This would be a major chore for sure. But If it is a rare bird, you'll still OK. It isn't likely to cost more than $350.

15. I've got a similar problem. I've got a Stingray 5 (that I bought off ebay) and I haven't tried to mess with the truss rod until recently. Well, it seems to me like it's frozen.

So, anybody know of a good but fairly cheap replacement neck? I'm probably going to be selling the bass, but I honestly doubt it will sell with a messed up truss rod. Even then, I wouldn't want to sell it in this condition.

Thanks!

16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Drop me a line if you guys are still looking for a great repair guy. I live in O.K.C. and there is a guy up here that does incredible work, he is the ONLY person allowed to work on my gear. He also builds incredible basses. He is building my custom right now and im a very picky person about my gear so thats saying alot. He regularly gets stuff from all over the usa so shipping wouldnt be a problem. Stik

17. I've seen the said bass being watched. Looks nice.. good luck with getting it repaired if you get it!

18. embellisher,

You might try calling those guys at Larry Morgan Music. I think they do a lot of repair type work.

19. embellisher

Aww, darn it, I missed out on the bass.

Count, I know that LM does work, but I avoid that store because I have a real problem with Marcus.

20. Ahhh...

I've only been in there once so I never have delt with any of the employees.