Stripped wood repair?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jbathehut, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jbathehut

Apr 20, 2005
    So I was going over the various screws(bridge, neck, tuners etc.) on my yamaha that I bought on ebay several months ago to make sure they were secure. It turns out one of the neck screws is stripped. Believe it or not the action and playability is fine. I just wish I had tightened everything when I first bought it. Is there any type of filler or epoxy I can use to fill the hole and redrill a pilot hole? This is something I would like to repair myself since the price I paid doesn't justify bringing the bass to a shop. Thanks for any tips!
  2. No problem - if you want to do a passable repair without anything but the screwdriver, try this: Get some round toothpicks and insert as many as you can in the screw hole flush with the surface. Then drop in a few drops of superglue and re-install the neck. The screw should bite quite tightly and the superglue will seal it all up and harden. Don't worry, the screw will come out later but it will have a nice set of threads left behind to bite into when it gets re-assembled.
  3. jbathehut

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks for the tip man, I'll give it a try.
  4. billbassman

Sep 11, 2007
    I have the same problem with a Jazz bass project. I (argh!) overtightened two of the screws. Would this work for me too? I've heard of using liquid glue and then drilling a small pilot hole before securing the neck. What would you advise in my case. (Help me Hambone!)
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Use the toothpick and glue method, although I've used ordinary carpenter's glue instead of super glue with equally permanent results. No need to get overly fancy because it's a plenty strong enough repair and nothing shows after. Just filling the hole with glue is not a good way to do it unless you use something like epoxy that won't shrink and will hold screws. Use the toothpicks.
  6. billbassman

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks a bunch. I'll give it a try.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I would use white carpenters' glue rather than superglue. It is less adhesive to the screw itself. You'll thank yourself if and when you have to remove the screw in the future.
  8. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    I've always had good results with regular wood glue. I don't know what the advantage of super glue would be, unless you just happen to have it on hand.

Always use toothpicks! Even when the glue hardens it has the consistancy of a soft plastic.

Glue- not strong
    Wood- pretty strong
    Wood with glue- the strength is much greater than the sum of it's parts.

Have yourselves a ball and good luck!