Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripping and ReStaining Bass Body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Embryodead, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Well some of you may of saw my Ebay Woes thread, i'm going to be stripping my body and using a wood stain have a nice dark stained wood bass and was wondering the process of this. What would be the best way to strip the body, and which stains have you guys used that works well.

2. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
  3. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    The minwax looks like a good idea, i'd like it a little darker. What should i use for chemicals to strip it, it's a fiberglass type paint.

4. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I'm going to let someone else answer that about stripping it. As far as your wanting it darker, just leave it on a little longer and put more coats of it on, and it'll be darker.

5. I don't know what your bass is, but I refinished my 78 P-bass. Stripper took off the top paint layers easily enough, but there was a tough clear layer under the paint and no stripper even began to cut it.

The answer was a heat gun with a wood scraper. Got everything off in less than an hour. Caution: wear eye protection!! Small flakes were flying everywhere. Just keep the heat moving around.

6. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    That sounds like a good idea, like I said I have always used a SMALL palm sander. I sress small, that way no wood gets removed with the finish.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Kutzit paint remover. The best. Even cuts through that hard plastic layer on Fenders.

8. Didn't cut mine. :p I tried darn near every paint stripper and remover on the store shelves.

9. Many manufacturers use a sealer before painting. After stripping the finish and paint you have to do some sanding (possibly a lot) to get to the bare wood. Also, be careful not to leave strong paint remover on too long as it can penetrate and discolor the wood.

10. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Here's my Carvin Alder stained with Minwax 'Special Walnut 224'
    Then tung oiled with Minwax tung oil:

[​IMG]

Regards,

Mike

11. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    I took a palm sander to the body last night, all it did was pretty much scuff it, so i'm going to try the paint stripper method. I really like that dark stain infact i think that's the color i want. I think i'll post a photo journal about my progress somewhere and give you guys the link if you'd like, it's going to be a big project. What would be the best way to cover up or remove fret inlays?

I'm refinishing the whole bass, i want it to be original to me so i'm scalloping frets 12-17, removing the ibanez logo on my headstock, replacing all the chrome hardware with gold hardware. Should be great looking in about a week.

12. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Well the chemical strip did jack ****, waste of 11 bucks, all it did was well smell up my garage, i took the sander to it again and got down to some wood, it's a pain in the ass though it's a really thick coat.

13. RaTTeR

RaTTeR Don't forget your towel!

Dec 25, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    Having stripped two bodies; the top coat is a ROYAL pain. Jazco stripper works great but it needs a hot day to really get it working.

Minwax stains are a good choice. If you're going to use a clear top coat, I'd use a poly-u clear. Poly-u is great for taking abuse and still cleaning up well.

Just my 2 cents worth

14. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    hey, yeah it's all stripped, i used a heatgun. I think proceeded to scorch the wood with the heat gun to give it a awesome look, i put the first coat on tonight.