Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stripping paint from a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rumblinbass, Aug 19, 2004.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Does anybody know a safe way to strip paint off a bass? I was given a beat up old P-bass copy and the body needs some serious work. I don't know if this project will amount to anything but hey, the body was free.

Anyways, I need to strip the paint. Is there anything that will do it without ruining the wood? Or is sanding the only safe option?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Sanding.. And there's paint stripper which you can get at a hardware store.
    www.projectguitar.com has some helpful advice.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You should be able to get some good advice in the Setup forum, too.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    sanding.....safest.

if your gonna repaint, just scuff it up

5. Good advice! Unless you're contemplating going with a natural wood finish (lots of work on a painted body), you only want to sand down enough to get the "shine" off the old paint, or down to where it's smooth.
    Now if it's peeling or cracking really badly, you'll probably want to get all of that old stuff off.

Mag...

6. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    Well, like I said...this is a project bass. I got from a friend (freebie) and it's beat up - bad. So, I want to sand off or strip all the paint and do some minor wood work. Then possibly repaint or go for the natural finish...depending on the outcome.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i got a bass i did that with, sanded it smooth, filled the cracks/dents with glazing putty, re primerd it, and did a custom paint scheme on it......works great.

be carful with any strippers, FYI

8. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    That sound like what I'm going to have to do. I'm just a little apprehensive about sanding in the neck socket and pickup routing.

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just go easy on it, you just need to take the sheen off of it.